Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
I have a very important Publisher file (I'm a teacher and the report-writing document is only on Publisher format) that is on a usb stick and I want to use it on my 12" MacBook 2015 model. So after getting some great advice from some of you here, I went ahead and downloaded a Microsoft Windows 10 ISO and used boot camp to install Windows onto my Mac. Many hours of downloads and problems later, I had Windows installed but it kept not working when on initial login screen. Kept having errors like 'kmode_exception_not_handled' etc. so I then tried loading/installing Windows via parallel desktop. Once there, I cannot find the office publisher application to install so I can use publisher file that is on the usb stick. I am so stuck! I just want to delete everything and start again (I have done this a few times over last 24 hours) would really appreciate your help.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Do you need to edit the file? since there is a lot of online file converters, which convert it pdf (according to search results).

But you can also buy publisher:
https://products.office.com/en-us/publisher

Might be cheaper to go for a office365 subscription, where you can download and use it, as long as your subscription runs. But make sure that publisher is included in whatever you choose. It is not a core office application.

Word 2011 for Mac also has a publishing mode (removed in 2016), with core publisher functionality. However I does not appear to be able to open publisher files (but publisher can export to word files).

Edit: When Searching for "open ms publisher file on mac", it appears that Libre Office might be able to publisher files. There is a free version in the app-store, so it is worth a try.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I have a very important Publisher file (I'm a teacher and the report-writing document is only on Publisher format) that is on a usb stick and I want to use it on my 12" MacBook 2015 model. So after getting some great advice from some of you here, I went ahead and downloaded a Microsoft Windows 10 ISO and used boot camp to install Windows onto my Mac. Many hours of downloads and problems later, I had Windows installed but it kept not working when on initial login screen. Kept having errors like 'kmode_exception_not_handled' etc. so I then tried loading/installing Windows via parallel desktop. Once there, I cannot find the office publisher application to install so I can use publisher file that is on the usb stick. I am so stuck! I just want to delete everything and start again (I have done this a few times over last 24 hours) would really appreciate your help.

I suspect it's one on the bootcamp drivers has not installed correctly. On your wininstall USB you can navigate to the bootcamp directory and re run the setup.exe from windows not OSX :)

You can also check in control panel/device manager if there are any yellow waning's against any device

Additionally you can boot into safe mode and run some checks google how to :)

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I suspect it's one on the bootcamp drivers has not installed correctly. On your wininstall USB you can navigate to the bootcamp directory and re run the setup.exe from windows not OSX :)

You can also check in control panel/device manager if there are any yellow waning's against any device

Additionally you can boot into safe mode and run some checks google how to :)

Correct.

The sequencing of how you install Windows and then Boot Camp atop it makes a big difference.

BJ

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
Thanks I have spent all day trying to do it successfully with no luck. Oh well I might have to give an I.T. guy a call this week to see where I'm going wrong.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Thanks I have spent all day trying to do it successfully with no luck. Oh well I might have to give an I.T. guy a call this week to see where I'm going wrong.
I hope (assume) its something simple as you have done the hard part as such, creating the partition and installing windows and then the bootcamp drivers :)

There will be an a lot of updates you have to run, so run update windows several times also Apple have updated a couple of drivers so you have to navigate to the apple folder on your drive and run the update file there which will update iTunes if you wish but it also loads the latest bootcamp fixes

I'm sure it's just a problem of updating sequence

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

No need, don't give up.

As Steve is pointing out, you need to sequence the install so that Windows 10 is installed before you update Boot Camp and you need to update Boot Camp on the Windows side (via Apple Updater app) and not only on the Apple side. All you need from here is to do the following:

1. Launch to OSX, update Boot Camp on the Mac side (the option for updating drivers and not the one that requires a full reinstall and partition). This will require outboarding files onto a USB thumb drive. Follow the instructions from there. Here's a link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204923

2. Launch to Windows, update Boot Camp via Apple Updater on the Windows side. It's the app that usually updates iTunes in Windows, looks like this: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/apple_software_update_iphone.png

3. Reboot to Windows.

That should do it.

BJ

Reactions: SteveJUAE

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
Thanks so much, I'll give that a try. But one more question: if I do all that and have Windows on my Mac, am I able to then install Publisher on the Windows side and then read/edit the publisher file I have on a usb stick? That is the reason I am trying to load Windows onto my rMB so that I can do all my students' reports (I'm a teacher) on my wonderful little rMB.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Thanks so much, I'll give that a try. But one more question: if I do all that and have Windows on my Mac, am I able to then install Publisher on the Windows side and then read/edit the publisher file I have on a usb stick? That is the reason I am trying to load Windows onto my rMB so that I can do all my students' reports (I'm a teacher) on my wonderful little rMB.
Once you have windows on your rMB under bootcamp your rMB behaves identical to any other windows laptop with the same file system etc etc with no restraints including reading your USB files. You can even see files on your OSX partition but you cannot save files to there.

FYI BJ and I both run Windows 10 exclusively on our rMB's

PS I noticed in your other thread someone recommended the trial version of Win10 if you have not activated Win10 then it won't update or allow some other things, but it should still run most ok

Last edited:
Reactions: boltjames

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
UPDATE
Thanks to you all for helping me. I was going to give up trying to get Windows 10 on my rMB as I'd had a lot of troubles and everything took so so long (hours) but I thought I'd give it one last go.
I went out and bought Windows 10 and Office 365 Personal and then loaded everything on. I had a lot of trouble with Bootcamp and I kind of liked the idea of the Parallels desktop program so I decided to try again with Parallels Desktop and it ALL worked!
I now have a working Windows on my rMB and because I loaded on the Office 365 personal, I now have Publisher too - and best of all, I found that my Publisher file (on usb stick) combined with Publisher, I can now write, edit, save my reports! So exciting! I was really really keen to use my new rMB for report writing as I just hate the crappy PC that my work provides.

So happy right now - thanks to all of you!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
UPDATE
Thanks to you all for helping me. I was going to give up trying to get Windows 10 on my rMB as I'd had a lot of troubles and everything took so so long (hours) but I thought I'd give it one last go.
I went out and bought Windows 10 and Office 365 Personal and then loaded everything on. I had a lot of trouble with Bootcamp and I kind of liked the idea of the Parallels desktop program so I decided to try again with Parallels Desktop and it ALL worked!
I now have a working Windows on my rMB and because I loaded on the Office 365 personal, I now have Publisher too - and best of all, I found that my Publisher file (on usb stick) combined with Publisher, I can now write, edit, save my reports! So exciting! I was really really keen to use my new rMB for report writing as I just hate the crappy PC that my work provides.

So happy right now - thanks to all of you!
Congrats :)

I bet if you tried Bootcamp again with the proper files you have now it would be fine too, but your up and running and that's what counts :)

Reactions: boltjames

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
Yes I totally agree with you Steve I'm sure I could work it all out now. I finally had it all up and running at 12.30am this morning and a part of me wanted to use what I learnt from you guys and scrap the Parallels desktop and re-install through Bootcamp - luckily the tired part of me was like NO WAY! I am thrilled with parallels though, I just do a 3 finger swipe from my Mac side and then bam I'm in the Windows side! And my reports can be done using my wonderful gorgeous rMB - the perfect combo along with my iPP 12.9 and Apple Pencil. You wouldn't believe how thrilled I am!
image.jpeg

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yes I totally agree with you Steve I'm sure I could work it all out now. I finally had it all up and running at 12.30am this morning and a part of me wanted to use what I learnt from you guys and scrap the Parallels desktop and re-install through Bootcamp - luckily the tired part of me was like NO WAY! I am thrilled with parallels though, I just do a 3 finger swipe from my Mac side and then bam I'm in the Windows side! And my reports can be done using my wonderful gorgeous rMB - the perfect combo along with my iPP 12.9 and Apple Pencil. You wouldn't believe how thrilled I am! View attachment 631468
:)

You know you can use your IPP as a dual monitor ie an extension of your rMB so you could for example have the pupils paper on the left IPP screen and doing your report etc on the right rMB screen without all the hassels of transferring files over to the IPP etc :)

So the IPP becomes a monitor and you control everything from your rMB

Although I think you may have had enough fun now and need to get some work done :D

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
You know you can use your IPP as a dual monitor ie an extension of your rMB so you could for example have the pupils paper on the left IPP screen and doing your report etc on the right rMB screen without all the hassels of transferring files over to the IPP etc

So the IPP becomes a monitor and you control everything from your rMB

Although I think you may have had enough fun now and need to get some work done

Whoa!

Can I do this with my iPad Air II and my RMB in the Windows 10 environment via Boot Camp? Or is this a Mac thing and/or a Parallels thing? I'd love to (for example) review PDF's on my iPad screen and be able to type comments in Email or Word on my RMB controlling the whole dual-screen experience with a mouse in Windows 10.

BJ

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Whoa!

Can I do this with my iPad Air II and my RMB in the Windows 10 environment via Boot Camp? Or is this a Mac thing and/or a Parallels thing? I'd love to (for example) review PDF's on my iPad screen and be able to type comments in Email or Word on my RMB controlling the whole dual-screen experience with a mouse in Windows 10.

BJ
They clearly show a Dell to Ipad and the client software is MAC or Windows DL and the Ipad software is an Applestore DL

You should be good to go Bootcamp to Ipad

duet.png

Reactions: ccrgt

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
They clearly show a Dell to Ipad and the client software is MAC or Windows DL and the Ipad software is an Applestore DL

You should be good to go Bootcamp to Ipad

Doesn't look like it's wireless unfortunately, I believe it needs to be hard-wired via Lightning/USB cable. Not the end of the world, but an inconvenience.

BJ

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Doesn't look like it's wireless unfortunately, I believe it needs to be hard-wired via Lightning/USB cable. Not the end of the world, but an inconvenience.

BJ
The wireless solution is synergy but that's up to 11 MAC's/PC's connected with a lot more functionality ie file sharing etc unfortunately IPad are excluded, but you should not knock the wired solution as it should be more stable/consistently responsive.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
The wireless solution is synergy but that's up to 11 MAC's/PC's connected with a lot more functionality ie file sharing etc unfortunately IPad are excluded, but you should not knock the wired solution as it should be more stable/consistently responsive.

I'll try it, thanks.

BJ

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
Hi again. I have another question you clever people may know the answer to:
If i am using Windows on my rMB through Parallels Desktop program, do i need to have wifi to access Windows on my mac? I may want to be away from home to access Windows/office apps via Parallels and not sure if I need to be connected to wifi.... In other words, if I want to use a Publisher file within Windows (Publisher Office program) via Parallels on my rMB, will i be able to work on the Publisher file if I am away from home (e.g. at work/friends place with wifi etc)?

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Hi again. I have another question you clever people may know the answer to:
If i am using Windows on my rMB through Parallels Desktop program, do i need to have wifi to access Windows on my mac? I may want to be away from home to access Windows/office apps via Parallels and not sure if I need to be connected to wifi.... In other words, if I want to use a Publisher file within Windows (Publisher Office program) via Parallels on my rMB, will i be able to work on the Publisher file if I am away from home (e.g. at work/friends place with wifi etc)?

Why not turn off wi-fi right now and see if it works? When I want to see how my iPad will behave on a plane, I turn off wi-fi, turn out the lights, and have my son make whooshing airplane noises.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.