Macbook and wireless connectivity

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DrStrangelove, Mar 3, 2008.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Hey, folks... been a while-- hope you're all well.

I bought my wife a Macbook for her birthday and, as I've grown accustomed to, it worked (still works) flawlessly out of the box. Another convert in the house.

At any rate, she is having a minor issue and I was hoping someone might be able to assist or point me in the right direction.

It seems that every Tom, Dick and Harry in our neighborhood is running a wireless router-- many without any security. We run 2 in our house alone (WEP enabled). Her Macbook seems to grab either the first available signal or the first strongest signal (I don't know how it prioritizes). Nevertheless, this creates connectivity issues for her. And I'm not always around to help her out.

The question: Is there a way to tell her Macbook to ONLY connect to once specific wireless router (assuming it's on) and to ignore all other signals? This way I can point it to the one in our house that's on all the time.

Thanks in advance!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Under the Network Preference Pane, under the Airport Setting. There is a place to select network, it is currently set to Automatic. Change it to Preferred Networks, then arrange the networks in terms of priority.

Enjoy,

TEG

3. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Done. Lets see if that helps. Much thanks!