Macbook and wireless router have the same IP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ubuntu, May 24, 2008.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Hi there,

I should mention that my technical knowledge isn't extensive.

I managed to connect to Xbox Live via my mac, and all is good, except that my nat type is poor. I've found a good method to solve this, but the problem is that I can't forward the ports I need to forward, as my IP address for my xbox is like 10.0.0.2 instead of 192.168.2.2.

This all works fine, but I want to set it to 192.168.2.2. so that I can do the port forwarding. However, when I try to do this, with all the terminal commands (e.g. ifconfig en0), it's all fine, except that my gateway address is the same as my router IP, thus there is a conflict.

How can this be possible?

Thanks,

I'm on 10.5.2.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You're confusing me a bit as to what you are trying to do.

What is your routers ip address?
    What model router do you have?
    Can you change the ip on your Xbox?
    Your mac and router can not have the same ip.

Provide this info and I'll see if I can help.

3. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

My routers ip address is 192.168.2.1, definitely. I've checked the admin panel, etc, so the routers okay, as far as I know.

I have the Belkin G router.

I can change the Xbox ip, it's currently 10.0.0.2, whereas my macbook is 10.0.0.1, and that works fine. However, if I try to set it to 192.168.2.x it doesn't work, regardless of what number.

I tried the ifconfig en0 command, and it came up with 192.168.2.1, which is the same as my router. lol.

Thanks very much.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok good.

Here's what you need to do:

1. On the xbox, change the ip to 192.168.2.2 using your routers ip address as the "gateway" and a netmask of 255.255.255.0. I assume that the xbox has a GUI application to do this (I never owned one).

2. On the mac, you configure the ip address in the System Preferences -> Network Pane. First create a new location. Then select the network interface (airport or ethernet). For ethernet, Change "Configure" to Manually (if using the Airport, click the advanced button and go to the TCP/IP tab) and fill in the areas with the following info:

IP: 192.168.2.3
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.2.1

DNS Server(s): (get that from your Router's status page).

Click "apply".

3. Now you need to configure whatever port forwarding you need on your router for the xbox.

That should do it.

5. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I tried that all, still no luck. The Xbox claims that the IP address is invalid.

Thanks for the work, though.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok, you could always change the ip addresses of your router and mac to match the xbox network. Just make sure you have separate ip addresses for each.

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Just to be clear... You don't have your xbox connected to your Mac, do you? It should be connected to your router.

8. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I do have my xbox connected to my mac, I should have stated that, my bad.

The xbox doesn't have a wireless adapter, so I have to hook it up to my macbook via ethernet and use the airport connection. I hope this can help you help me further.

I appreciate the help.

9. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

That's why you are having problems. You can't do that.

You must connect the xbox via ethernet to your router. If need be get a longer ethernet cable or move the router closer to the xbox. This is why you are getting conflicts.

Now you can use my previous email...
    ... to change ip addresses on your xbox and mac and not get any conflicts. Then just set your port forwarding on the router for your xbox ipaddress and the ports you need (either tcp or udb or both).