Macbook Antenna Issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacMosher, Apr 22, 2010.

1. MacMosher macrumors 6502

MacMosher

I am having some issues with my macbook's wireless. I was wondering if there was any good way to determine if it is my airport card that is acting up or if it is just a bad antenna connection (without opening it up... preferably).

My girlfriend has the same macbook as myself and she can get 4X as good of reception than I can. I can be sitting 6ft away from the router and still only be getting 2 bars (and might loose them intermittently).

I've tried using KisMAC to see if there was any interference from other wi-fi signals, but I don't think that is the issue.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

This community is great.

2. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

3. mercm macrumors newbie

Bump

Because I'm having similar problems.

I tend to get a connection in the room where the router is and can occasionally get a good connection in the room above the router. But my room is the room next to this and this is where I work and therefore, the connection problem is really making work very difficult. When in that room I can very occasionally get about 5-10 minutes of connection and then it is dropped, usually irretrievably.

Furthermore, there are three other people in the house who have laptops that pick up the wifi brilliantly. None of them have Macs though.

I bought my Mac in September 2006 and it worked perfectly until this year. I could get a full connection anywhere in the house (even in the room above mine) which was extremely stable, never cut out. The router has been changed once in this time, I believe, but not in the past year.

Please help!