macbook apple care worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PACMAC, Nov 24, 2008.

1. PACMAC macrumors regular

PACMAC

ok my 1 year warrenty is about to end this month and i was wondering if 250$ is worth the spend to extend my macbooks warrenty?

thanks

2. darshan macrumors member

has your laptop given you any sort of trouble I'm the past year or so?

If not then I wouldn't waste another 250 for no reason

Also how is the condition of the laptop ... If you've maintained it

Then again I wouldn't worry about it

Plus smart thing to do would be stashing that cash and use it for any future upgrades

No point on wasting money on an old tech

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except that, should he encounter four problems requiring warrantee service within the next two years, Apple will replace his computer with whatever model is then-currently available.

4. neilk macrumors newbie

Probably not worth $250, but definitely worth the $100 it will cost using Microsoft Live and Ebay!

5. jamin100 macrumors 6502

6. MDiddy macrumors regular

MDiddy

Get the AppleCare

I won't own an Apple notebook without AppleCare anymore. Not so much that they're problem-prone, but the nature of notebook use makes them more susceptible. You can typically find a great deal on eBay and save around 30%-50% off Apple's retail price. But by all means, get it. My wife's Macbook battery started flaking out literally weeks after the one-year warranty expired. They expressed a replacement out and in two days she was back in business.

7. Junk DNA macrumors regular

Junk DNA

I think it's worth getting apple care.

My MBP is 13 months old - I just had to get the DVD drive and both fans replaced: total cost £250, but it was all covered by applecare.

8. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Somebody started a thread and said they got their AppleCare for the MacBook for $91 after using the Live.com rebate and the eBay 10% promotion.

$91 is way cheaper than $250, and it makes the decision a NO BRAINER.

10. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

i always recommend it, if something needs repair down the road, there is a good chance it would cost you close if not more that what the apple care would have cost. and not only that you get two years of phone support instead of 90 days

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Apple portables are hard to repair-hard to disassemble, hard to find parts for. Expensive to pay someone to do-expensive and risky to do yourself.

If you don't have applecare, you'll be praying every day that your macbook doesn't break down.

If you DO have applecare, you'll be praying every day for two years that it DOES. :D

12. PACMAC thread starter macrumors regular

PACMAC

im not going to get it..i mean they dont cover if it gets stolen if you spill something or break some thing..after all most of something that can fail is HD or fans cd drive something i dont even really use..its just money they want..

i mean most all other brands out there offer 2/3 years right off the box warranty..this just a way for apple to cash in more money..

ill skip it..after all it can be fix i dont care about money i care more about life and not stress over something that can be replaced..money comes and go..and apple is just way to greedy with there products..:mad:but sure is nice:D

thanks everyone for your advices enjoy your holiday..

13. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

You can get it for like $80 on eBay, that should be a no brainer...

14. PACMAC thread starter macrumors regular

PACMAC

my one year is over already i tot its was later on but i just found out it was over like 2 days ago been busy with other things lost track of it...i guess its really to later now oh well..its a replaceable item anyways

thanks

15. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

Really? My MacBook as already broken twice due to hard drive failure in one month and I was hoping it wouldn't happen again... now I have my fingers crossed! ;)

Edit: Can anyone confirm if this two years, breaks four times thing is true? Couldn't find it in terms and conditions anywhere...

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Toshiba, HP, Dell, they all come with 1 year warranties. For $183 with an EDU discount, covering repairs that go over $900, it's not a bad deal.

17. PACMAC thread starter macrumors regular

PACMAC

money money money..thats what people strees about..its just money you can always get it..:D

i dont live about money anymore when i almost got killed by a drunk driver i dont care about replaceable products..life is what matters to me the most..so yeah im happy with my choice of not getting it i can always get something better or get it fix..

thanks