Macbook apple/cmd button broke so can't use keyboard or login!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RunnyCustard, Jul 29, 2011.

1. RunnyCustard macrumors member

RunnyCustard

Hi

I managed to update my macbook from 1gb RAM to 4gb which I was rather pleased with performance and I thought I'd see if I could solve the keys that were not working... 0 and cmd and a few others but those two are the most useful to me.

I gently lifted it up (I already have a lose A so I knew what to expect) and I gently used a cotton tip to clean any dust up.. couldn't see anything wrong so I just popped the top of the cmd back on.. now it's acting like the cmd is depressed all the time so I can't enter my password on the screen lock (I was just updating to lion as well).

I know that I could buy a new keyboard (which will take ages to arrive if I buy on ebay now... weekend etc and I work on Monday ... I use my macbook for that) so was hoping if anyone knew of any alternative solutions?

:cool:
    thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You have two CMD keys, one on the left side of the SPACEBAR and one on the right.

Or you could get a cheap external keyboard and connect it via USB, it will work.

But how do you use the CMD key during login? I never needed to use that key during any of my many logins since 2004.

3. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

I don't use the cmd key during login - I just can't use the keyboard as 'it thinks' the cmd key is being used - basically I'm not getting any keystrokes when I press a key.

hmm... I just realised I have an old mac keyboard... I'll give it a go.

UPDATE: yep the old keyboard got me through the screen lock - guess I'll pair up my wireless keyboard (smaller so can take to work with me) to use with it until I can get the key working or a new keyboard... what a pain.

thank you!

how would the second cmd key stop the other one being 'depressed' if that one is damaged?

thanks for your help

4. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, didn't get that from the OP, but as that is the case with the CMD key, the second one wouldn't help either.

5. RunnyCustard thread starter macrumors member

RunnyCustard

oops sorry wasn't clear :)

thanks for the reminder about using another keyboard... I did think about my wireless one but how do you set it up without using the macbook first?! lol... but my old imac keyboard was in a storage box.. .out of sight, out of mind!