Macbook: "Apple hardware test does not support this machine"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by VoodooDaddy, Mar 9, 2008.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

My wifes new macbook has had a few weird things happen, including 2 kernel panics right out of the box. She puts in the restore discs, reboots holding D and gets to the AHT screen. Selects the language then gets the that message, "apple hardware test does not support this machine"

Any ideas?

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Since it is new... take it back to the Apple store or call Apple support.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Seems like a hardware fault. Can you get it back to the store for them to look at?

4. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

It was bought online, so taking to the Apple store isnt an option. Will they try to troubleshoot over the phone? And how will they determine if it needs to be sent in?

5. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Just because it was bought on line doesn't mean anything- unless of course if you don't have an Apple store any where near you that's a different story.. If that's the case have them send you a box for you to return it in.. If it's new- you shouldn't have to worry about troubleshooting.. You paid Apple to do that- use it..

I brought my iMac to Apple last week because I wasn't happy with the temperatures.. The memory control runs at 175f when it's turned on- not working hard, just not sleeping.. They had it for hours and did every test under the sun.. It passed, and apparently it was fine- but the point is, that's why they're there and they did it with a smile on their faces and actually really tried to see if they could find anything..I know I looked like the biggest tool in the shed, , using Apple Care when it turns out there's nothing wrong with my computer, but I don't care, that's why you pay for it..

6. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

Just a quick update to finish this thread off...

Wife called Applecare and they had her re-set the pram and they seemed to think that would fix everything. Nevermind that that was the FIRST thing we did after she got 2 kernel panics out of the box.

She (wife) said "wait, wait, wait....this wont even run the hardware test." The Applecare rep didnt even know anything about the hardware test so wife was passed on to someone else, presumably who knew more.

In the end she was set up with a replacement right away, which she just got today.

FIRST thing she did was run the hardware test on the new one and everything checked out fine. So definitely something was wrong with that other macbook since it wouldnt even run the hardware test.

7. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

A little bit late for this to matter in any way, but since I googled my way here I may as well mention; it's also possible the discs weren't the right ones for your wife's original Macbook. They are extremely specific and only work for exactly the same speed and model that they were issued with.