Macbook & Apple Remote

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ToothBeaver, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ToothBeaver macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I was just looking at the Macbooks on Apple's site, and noticed they no longer come with an Apple remote. Just wondering how long this has been the case? I know originally they came with a remote, but now it appears to be an optional extra.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

4. James17 macrumors 6502

5. ToothBeaver thread starter macrumors newbie

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Why complain? They decided not to give them free anymore. I can't blame them. Most people I know didn't use them plus if you really need it then pay the $19. I didn't ever use my remote on my older one and if I did and needed one, I would just pay for it.

7. James17 macrumors 6502

After paying £1,600 for a MacBook Pro I don't see why I should pay another £15 for a small remote when it costs pittance to produce, a remote that I got free with an iMac half the price of the MBP and a remote that I do use.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I paid a lot for my Macbook and I wish it had a better graphic card since many PC laptops costing half of what I paid had better graphics than mine( It wasn't a make or break deal with me--I don't need a great graphics card, but it would be nice--so would blu-ray, larger HD, ect.). We can complain all day what we think Apple should have included in the price, but ultimately we make the decision to either buy it or not with the specs they currently have when we buy.

9. James17 macrumors 6502

There is a major difference between a remote and expecting blueray or bigger HD. The person at Apple agreed with my complaint otherwise they would have told me to go buy one like any other person. It was a matter of principle.

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

We will just have to disagree then. They didn't advertise or state that a remote comes with it. So they didn't do anything wrong. I don't see it as principle, but someone who wanted something free. You got it for free, so I guess you "won."

11. James17 macrumors 6502

You are correct, they did not advertise the remote with it which means if they refused the remote then I would have had to accept it, however, after analysing the money I gave them for a computer they decided it was in the best interests of the company and me to compensate me with one free of charge. The decision to make the remote an extra was wrong in my view as even if some people don't use it, it costs pittance to make and is useful if you're ever watching something on your computer and need a remote control. I do agree that I won my mission to receive the remote free of charge on a matter of principle but I sympathise for the hundreds of others who spend a substantial amount of money whether it be less or more than me and have to pay extra for this which I think is unacceptable. You couldn't be more wrong about suggesting I done it just to get something free, it was based on the fact that I frequently would use the remote and because I had spent the most money ever on the MBP only to find out they stopped shipping the remote with it. I also profoundly apologise to the thread originator as it seems I am hijacking it.

12. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

If you already had one from your iMac, then why the need to ask for another?

13. James17 macrumors 6502

iMac was sold on eBay some months ago to help pay for MBP as portability was the main need for change.