Macbook Applecare...

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
England
OK, I was pricing up my Macbook order and found this option in the Applecare section...what on earth is it?! "EMEA CC -HE contract uplift iBook"

Uber

EDIT: Education store if that makes any difference.

Attachments

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Apple Care Extends your standard warranty (which is one year in teh US anyway) to three years...with phone support.

You can always wait until just before your one-year anniversary, though.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
England
Oh yes, I know what Applecare is. Usually Applecare is just called "Applecare" though. Is this just the same thing with some crazy name? I'll also point out that all purchases on the UK edu store come with 3 year Applecare free anyway...

Uber

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
UK EDU purchases have the standard three warranty now, but it's not AppleCare. That option adds the AppleCare phone support to the standard warranty. That's why it's cheaper than you'd expect AppleCare to be.

It could certainly be explained better on their site though...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
UberMac said:
Oh yes, I know what Applecare is. Usually Applecare is just called "Applecare" though. Is this just the same thing with some crazy name? I'll also point out that all purchases on the UK edu store come with 3 year Applecare free anyway...

Uber
I don't know, then. Maybe someone else can help out. :)

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
I was told that it is the telephone support part of the APP. Student warranty is free but it does not include telephone support after the first 90 days.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
also if you come to sell your computer you cannot pass the warranty on like you can with applecare. that £58 will get you a warranty you can pass on, and telephone support.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
England
On reflection - it's the HE store. Although they're pretty much the same except the rate of discount correct?

Uber

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
UK
You've all got it wrong, sorry :p :

UK Education Store only:
1 year warranty
90 day telephone support
So same as Joe Schmo public gets.

UK Higher Education Store only:
3 year warranty on laptops and desktops
1 year telephone support on laptops and desktops
Can upgrade to AppleCare at a discount, for 2 more years of phone support.

There's no exclusion of warranty transfer on either of these in Apple's terms and conditions.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
drlunanerd said:
You've all got it wrong, sorry :p :

UK Education Store only:
1 year warranty
90 day telephone support
So same as Joe Schmo public gets.

UK Higher Education Store only:
3 year warranty on laptops and desktops
1 year telephone support on laptops and desktops
Can upgrade to AppleCare at a discount, for 2 more years of phone support.

There's no exclusion of warranty transfer on either of these in Apple's terms and conditions.

although you might find it easier to convince the buyer that your laptop is covered for 3 more years if you pay the £58 as he can enter it in the support page and see himself. with the HE 3 year standard it only shows one year on the support page.

drdimmer

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2006
Is anyone else lost? So if you were to pay the extra 50 odd quid for the apple care in the Higher Education Store, what do you get telephone support wise and warranty wise? I know the post above is suppose to explain it, but people seem to be saying different things, and the pdf on apple's site is about as clear as mud to me.

</noob>

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
all you get for your £58 is telephone support and it is called applecare. without spending the £58 it is just a 3 year warranty.

the "3 year warranty" does not show up on the support page by entering the serial number although apple has assured me that it is covered for 3 years.

the "applecare" does show up on the support page showing 3 years support. if you sold the computer you could say it comes with "applecare" for the remaining time.

you might have a hard time trying to pass on the "3 year warranty", thats all im saying.

hope this makes it a little clearer.

drdimmer

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2006
Thanks, a lot clearer, and is the telephone support for 3 years? along with the warranty?

Edit: Scrap what I just said, you've explained it loud and clear, just forgot to engage brain when reading :$

talz13

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2005
WildCowboy said:
UK EDU purchases have the standard three warranty now, but it's not AppleCare. That option adds the AppleCare phone support to the standard warranty. That's why it's cheaper than you'd expect AppleCare to be.

It could certainly be explained better on their site though...
Aww, is that for the UK store only? That sucks... Is there anything special for the US college student store? Besides the $100 off mid-level macbook and applecare for $183