Macbook application switching

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elec999, Apr 10, 2007.

1. elec999 macrumors regular

Could someone confirm this, if its fake or real. I saw videos that mac book can switch in between by touching the sides of the lcd.
    Thanks

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It is possible. There are a number of implementations for switching virtual desktops. The later builds of Virtue Desktops have it built right in. However, it's not very reliable and it's not a great idea to be constantly smacking the side of your laptop. I don't use that feature on my MacBook; a simple keyboard shortcut is more effective and less harmful to the computer.

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It's true. Mac laptops have very sensitive and precise motion detectors built in, able to detect a tap from the side and other movements.

They only reason Macs have this is so they can tell the hard disk to go into the fetal position during a fall or impact, reducing the chances of data loss.

But users have added their OWN uses for the technology, including the tap-switching and some games that respond to tilting the MacBook.

So you'll have to download install the tap-switching--it's not a built-in function. And it's more of a toy than anything :)

Google "sudden motion sensor" to find more.

http://wpram.com/log/2006/05/26/apple_sudden_mo/

http://blog.medallia.com/2006/05/smacbook_pro.html

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Find VirtueDesktops at versiontracker.com and you'll get the program that does the switching right out of the box.

Its pretty cool, but yeah it isn't the most efficient method. I don't think you can hurt you Mac by slapping the side of it (use common sense). Overall give it a shot!

DesktopManager is another great Virtual desktop program, better than the first program stated.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'd say Virtue Desktops is better. First of all, DesktopManager has been dead for years. Virtue Desktops actually grew out of DesktopManager once it stopped being maintained. As such, VD has a lot more features. It's not perfect, but it will get me by until Spaces comes along.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Really? Hmm, shows what I know about these things. Ultimately go get your SmackBook on!