Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I have been a long time lurker here, first post though, haha. So I ordered a macbook 2.4 the other day, and it arrived today. I am pissed at the shipper though as I think they did a pretty poor job..
I was tracking the destinations of my notebook since I first ordered it... China, to Japan, to Alaska, to Kentucky, to New York, and finally Ottawa - over a span of 5 days. I find that impressive but it somewhat bothers me a bit as it went to all these different places.. each stop with the potential to break something.
Not to mention I open my door today when I get home and the box falls on my foot. So lets see, it was sitting outside my door for hour many hours in the -15C weather! And UPS/Puralator didn't even get a signature to release it to me. \
ANYWAYS..
Now that it is in the nice warm house I am going to let it warm up slowly before even touching it - although the anticipation is killing me to open it, hah.

So could anyone direct me to some good threads/sites with some info for programs that are essential for the mac, some operating guides, etc. I migrated from being a LONG time windows user to a mac. Hopefully my experience goes well!

BlackLight

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
dude forget the shipping all that matters is that you got ur stuff and its in good hands now .. i got mine its been three days now and this is my very first mac in my life ..dude let me tell u ..i wish i had did that a long time ago cause finally im home wow ,, its amazing and u will find that out yourself ...enjou ur macbook i am .....:):)

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
ur a weird man

NO he's not, he's doing the right thing. That box has been out in the cold for DAYS and if he doesn't let the laptop get to room temperature before turning it on, it can get damaged! You seriously didn't know that?! :confused:

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
NO he's not, he's doing the right thing. That box has been out in the cold for DAYS and if he doesn't let the laptop get to room temperature before turning it on, it can get damaged! You seriously didn't know that?! :confused:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious...

Either way, I've NEVER heard that...

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious...

Either way, I've NEVER heard that...

Here you go....

condensation |ˌkänˌdenˈsā sh ən; -dən-|
noun
1 water that collects as droplets on a cold surface when humid air is in contact with it.

Have you never seen that before? You must not live in a cold area... When you bring something inside that's really cold, you can actually feel the condensation on it. So he WAS doing the right thing not to turn the MB on right away.

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
Another reason to let it warmup; All the moving parts (hinges, buttons, hard drive, optical drive, trackpad, fan, etc?) are shrunken to an "inoperable" tolerance. It may boot up and work but it could very possibly cause damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.