MacBook as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cricketman, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

Hello guys,

I also posted this in the Buying Forums, but I had some questions specifically relating to the new rMB and probably could get more insight here. I am currently running a 2011 MBP (8GB RAM and 320GB HDD). It does everything I need to do but I am going to Medical School next year and need a reliable computer during this time for my studies.

I am heavily considering purchasing a rMB. I will be primarily using it for streaming lectures (around 6 hours a day) and viewing large PDF files (textbooks, course packs, lots of images etc). My work will also include MS Office for writing papers and presentations - nothing too heavy overall.

Honestly; will this computer able to reliably keep up with these tasks? Will 12" be too small to be able to comfortably read heavy and dense information for hours on end? And like the title says, is this a good enough machine to be the only computer for a *busy* medical student?

Thanks guys! Whether I end up purchasing this or not I think the rMB is great and congrats for owning it!

2. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I don't see why not. This about how I use it. But for reading PDF files, an iPad is just so much more pleasant. That's the main reason I have an iPad.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I use an 11" MBA for similar tasks, and it isn't too small. As long as you don't feel that the lack of ports on the MB will hurt you I'd say go for it.

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

It's very capable despite its minute size. As long as you won't be doing some serious 3D GPU/CPU intensive workload in the near future (incl. gaming, simulating, heavy FCP X and Motion 5, etc,) you should be fine.

5. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

If you can live with just one USB-C port then go ahead. If you do need ANYTHING that's not USB-C get the 13" MacBook Air. Although I believe Apple will soon update it, it didn't get a refresh at WWDC and it's still lacking a Retina display. Oh and Force Touch. Still not there.

6. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

It'll easily do this for you, i've just gone from an Air 2012 13 inch to the base model rMB.

Runs rapid, haven't been able to stress the CPU to more than 70% yet and that's been deleting 30,000 images, and about 50 HD videos and moving them about.

I also opened all apps at once and nothing crashed or caused problems.

I would say go for it, the screen is beautiful as well!

7. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

You never know what you are going to be hit with, and the rmb is pretty limited in a number of ways, all of which you'll discover from reading reviews and in this forum. It might seem capable to you in the present, but that might change. I would think the 13" MBA or mbp might be more viable for med school, along with a tablet.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

on this note, I actually think it will become more capable. El Capitan seems to only improve things on the software side, and everything is going to a more wireless world.

9. the_imprisoned macrumors newbie

Fourth year medical student here. I am actually waiting for my rMB. This is a great pick for us. The main things you will need this for are long battery, light and portable, and good solid retina display. An air would be a second option but honestly this is a great choice. Message me with any questions. Good luck joining the ranks!

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That is wishful thinking, the air did get updated when the 13 inch pro did to the new broadwell processors. It got no other updates because it won't be getting anymore. The rMB is the air replacement and the air will just hang around in it's current form until people stop buying them then it'll be discontinued.

11. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

The MacBook isn't a MacBook Air replacement. Maybe in 2-3 years, yes, but that one USB-C port is still a no-no for most people. Until USB-C gets implemented in EVERYTHING from USB sticks to external HDDs and cameras and iPhones and mice and keyboards and whatever else it is you plug in to a notebook it will not be a replacement. Besides, if you opt in for the i7 you can do some hefty work on the MacBook Air while the MacBook struggles along with the more CPU/GPU intensive tasks because it isn't designed to do it.

Apple created a market with the MacBook Air of ultra portables that can still do some CPU/GPU intensive tasks. Apple won't leave a market they have a big share in.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What you think is a macbook air replacement is irrelevant Apple clearly think it is the Air replacement and thats all that counts....

Many people would have said the same thing about the air when it replaced the macbook in 2011... Apple were right then as well...

USB C will be in everything by the end of next year, about the same time they'll look to discontinue the current macbook airs by my reckoning.

13. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Frankly, the 2011 MBP should be perfect, as long as it's a 13" and not subject to the GPU failures. I would not go with the MacBook based on the lack of ports. I'm not a med student, but often need to give presentations which require VGA or HDMI. I also like having multiple USB ports for charging my phone, using an external mouse, etc. Sure, this can be accomplished with adapters, but I'm not buying adapters to get the same functionality my current laptop provides. I also really dislike the MacBook's keyboard and would never want to do any serious typing on it.

Your mileage may vary.

14. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

No Mac notebook has VGA output, but 99% of projectors still use VGA. So, you need an adapter no matter what Mac you buy, not only the MacBook.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Also it is a much "cleaner" experience using an adapter. I have one single cable plugged into the macbook....before I had 2-3 cables coming out of both sides of the mac.

16. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Agreed with this. I have one adapter out which does HDMI, USB C (which i then plug the charger in) and then USB.

More than enough for me, i have one external harddrive, everything else is wireless.

17. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Yes. With my previous MBA, when I used it at the desk I had four things to unplug (external screen, power, two USB drives). Now there is only one thing to unplug, the USB/HDMI adapter. So, Apple has the vision right with just the single port.

18. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Good thing is the battery life and hardrive is big enough that you can just leave the adapter and charger at home as well, then just one plug in when you get back to connect it all up again.

19. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the responses. Still thinking about it! I think it may be helpful to say that I rarely plug in USB drives to my MacBook Pro currently. If I do end up purchasing this device I will be fully subscribing to cloud based computing and wireless transfers. Also, I do not regularly plug my device into a larger screen besides my TV at times for streaming sports. I was thinking of getting an Apple TV anyway

20. Dayv macrumors 6502

The use cases you describe are basically perfect for the retina Macbook. I've had one for about six weeks now and I hardly ever long for any other ports.

21. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

I think it'd be perfect, honestly, I see medical students using iPad Mini's quite a bit.

One of the cooler things I've heard someone do is take their textbook and turn it into PDF's at Kinko's, throw it on their laptop or tablet.

Plan B is to use your current PC 1 more year and get a MB next year on the refresh...

22. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

Given what you're describing, I'm confident it'll work as your daily driver. Which configuration were you looking at going with?

23. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

Looking at getting the base. I cannot afford the higher end models