macbook as a desktop computer (for many hours in a row)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by V4705, Mar 22, 2010.

1. V4705 macrumors 6502

hi, i need a new work station that might work many hours every day but i don't have too much space and it will be great if i could disconnect the computer from the workstation and continue in other place so i think about a compact monitor+keyboard+mouse on the desktop and folded macbook as a computer case (when i'm not using its monitor)

do you think the plastic macbook built to work 7-8-9 hours in a row (every day)? won't it over-heat like hell ? (i'm not worried about the cpu, the hard-drive and other components can really damage by that)? maybe i should peak an aluminum model to spread the heat better?

i'll be happy to hear any opinion and thoughts,
    thanks!

2. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

I run my new Unibody MacBook like that all day every day (closed and connected to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse) and haven't suffered any ill effects. The MacBook I had previous to this ran like that every day for almost two years. It's now my wife's (she let me get a new one if she could have my old one. Oh, do I love her!).

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

Yep, they can take a good hammering. The latest versions are really solid.
    I doubt there is any significant difference between the plastic and aluminium models.

I know there's a lot of debate about heating vs Mac death on here (I contribute to some of it :)) but in normal light use the internal temperatures are very low.

For example, I do Word, Powerpoint, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, fairly light stuff and at the moment the temps look like this
    - CPU 44 C
    - HDD 32 C
    - Heatsink 40 C
    - Enclosure bottom 29 C
    - Northbridge 35 C
    This is with it on my lap after about half an hour's use. Not much above room temperature. The temps are very low in normal use, they shouldn't give you any cause for concern.

Of course if you are hammering the CPU eg playing WoW your temps will be quite a lot higher and that's where the flame wars begin re overheating. But even then the interior stays relatively cool, you can see lots of number if you search MR.

4. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I've done that more than once with my uMB and then the Air. Using it as a large flat Mac Mini shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't block the ventilation holes.

5. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

6. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Don't think it matters as long as you have the right adapter. Personally I have a 24in Dell (2408FPW). It's an excellent 1900x1200 screen with an SPVA panel.