macbook as a desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by john2006wright, Jul 2, 2007.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

are there any issues using a macbook as a desktop? I want to add speakers and and external display and run it as desktop. But have the ability to pick it up and use it on the move as well. I can't afford both desktop and notebook and don't want the sync issues

thanks

2. macsforme macrumors member

That's about how I use mine... and it works fairly well. You'll need to buy an adapter for the mini-DVI video out port if you want to connect an external display. Think twice about whether you actually need the portability of a laptop, though. Desktop machines are usually cheaper for the amount of power you need (and generally more reliable and easier to service, in my experience).

3. n00basaur macrumors regular

I use my macbook as a desktop about 95% of the time hooked up to some speakers (logitech x-230). No probs.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I use mine this way for the exact reasons you want, woks great! :D

And as a bonus if you need some extra screen real estate you can dual monitor it, very nice and very fluid.

5. pdra05 macrumors regular

It should work fine as a desktop.. I've actually used my iBook for a little over a year as a desktop until I saved up enough to get myself an iMac :eek: