macbook as a server?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by malikk, Feb 14, 2011.

1. malikk macrumors member

Hello,
    I was wondering if it would be bad if i were to use my macbook as a file server, web server for testing and maybe some type of backup server for different computers (along with other projects maybe a HTPC etc.). I would want to be able to access it from anywhere, including the internet (probably through secure FTP). I know all this is possible on the macbook. I was wondering more about the fact that if i made my macbook a server it would need to be on 24/7 running. Would this be a bad idea in terms of heat? It would have a terabyte external hooked up to it for "server storage", maybe a second one if needed. I was thinking of using this macbook and then getting a MBA 11" (probably 64gb ssd and 4gb ram... refurbished if possible). Either that or just get a refurbished mac mini at some point. I like the MBA though and i have always had a preference to laptops. I just was not sure if using the macbook as a server would be problematic because of heat (over a long period of time) since it is a laptop.

Thanks,
    malikk

2. .Max. macrumors member

.Max.

I think it would be okay, Although a while ago I saw someone'e white Macbook had melted from it's own heat :eek: http://goo.gl/o0Uu3

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

I don't think it would be good for any laptop to run as a heavy duty server. Normally on the macbook the fans are running at slow speed... but if it's a server 24/7, they will probably get loud and won't last very long. Do you already have a macbook or thinking about getting one? A desktop will be better for a server.