Macbook as main computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iwantamac22, Jun 24, 2007.

1. iwantamac22 macrumors newbie

Hi, i will be going back to the university this fall and really want to get rid of this gigantic desktop pc i used this past year. My question is do u think a blackbook paired with a 20 inch widescreen lcd would be a good bet as my only computer? How durable is the macbook in terms of that it will be running pretty much 24/7(like will it overheat or nething like that) since it will be my only computer at school. I would just pick up an imac but portability is a must. I dont really need the extras the macbook pro has niether. My other option is to take the desktop with me but i am really trying to get out of that.
    Thanks for your help/opinons

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

have you considered a small form factor computer like a mac mini? then use it with maybe like a kvm with the macbook if you want.

although it's entirely possible to use a macbook as a primary computer, I personally couldn't because if it breaks, I don't have another computer to rely on..

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Sounds like a Macbook would be perfect for your needs. I've only owned mine 2 weeks now, but I don't see any harm in leaving it running, especially if you allow it to sleep when not in use. It really shouldn't overheat that way. Best of luck whatever you decide.

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I think a macbook would be perfect for you! I use it as my main computer and i leave it running all the time. Just put it to sleep when you're not using it and it's fine. Invest in a good sleeve and bag and your macbook should be fine.

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I have always left my computers running 24/7 (minus the actual transport) and they have never had problems that i can see...as long as you let it sleep like everyone says, then you will be perfectly fine.

If you are really worried about it over heating for some reason though (or plan to run it in clamshell mode when you are using an external monitor with an external keyboard and mouse (which isn't a bad idea it seems)) then just go ahead and invest in a normal stand or one with a cooling pad or something to keep at your desk to put it on when you are using it for a really long period of time during one sitting or doing really intense stuff with it.

This would probably be more for piece of mind then anything though, because it shouldn't be a problem in all reality.

Good luck with your purchase! You won't be dissapointed :)

6. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I use a Macbook as my only computer in college, and it is on almost 24/7 and like everyone else said.. I just let it sleep while it is not in use. No overheating issues, and I have a 19" widescreen display which is a great bonus when I am at home.

7. infz macrumors member

infz

My blackbook is my only computer (aside from remote servers). I'm actively using it pretty much all the time that I'm awake, and often for scientific computing. As in, I'll let it crunch numbers, maxing out both cores for hours on end. ;) It's still working great! I don't have any heat problems. The revision1 macbooks got really hot but the current ones don't.

If you're concerned about reliability, just make sure not to shake it too much while the harddisk is in use (particularly when you close the screen, give it time to actually fall asleep before jostling it). And also remember to back up your important data to a non-portable drive somewhere, every now and then.