Macbook as your main computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by strider42, Jun 8, 2007.

1. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I desperately need to get a new computer (currently still using a rev a iMac). Of course part of me wants to get as good a computer as possible, as I intend whatever I get to last for years. I had been thinking of getting a new iMac whenever they are updated, but recently I've been thinking about a macbook instead.

Of course the macbook would be a bit less powerful, but my needs are pretty modest. I mostly use my computer for websurfing, email, chatting, etc. Nothing too intensive. I probably wouldn't carry it around that much, mostly this would a desktop replacement, but with the added freedom of not having to be chained to my desk.

So my question for any of you who are reading this is what do you think of a macbook as your main (only) computer. Do you think it will be OK to use for a few years at least? How about the screen size? Is it too small for everyday use?

I appreciate anyone's thoughts and experiences with using their macbook as their main computer. Thanks.

2. amoda macrumors 6502a

I use(d) to use my macbook pro as my main computer. It is (was) a very good desktop replacment. It was several times more powerfull than my last two desktops so I love(d) it.

The past/current sense thing is simply because I just sold my macbook pro in order to buy a new upgraded version. So i'm using a junky desktop till it comes in. Don't let that scare you, the laptop is good for several years, i'm just trying to expand my e-penis.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Wow :eek:

It sure looks that way.

I'll say.

A Macbook will blow you away and run circles around you for those things.

You can rest assured that thousands of people do.

No.

No.

4. toenexx macrumors member

I just bought a SR MBP (hasn't shipped yet :mad:) and I'm going to use it as my main computer for everything: internet, email, homework, editing, visual effects, some gaming and motion graphics. It's going to be replacing an amd 64 rig i built 2 years ago (the mobo is defective). I'm hoping down the line I'll be able to replace the mobo on that rig, but still use my MBP as the main computer with an addition of having another computer.

5. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

My Macbook is my workhorse. I, generally use it as my main machine, though it's not my only machine.

I go months without using my desktop, but there are those rare times that I absolutely have to use Windows, so I do use it in a pinch.

6. witness macrumors 6502

I used a MacBook as my main computer when they first came out. A 2+Ghz Core Duo is fast enough. I even ran windows via parallels on it for 6 months for my day job, and the performance was great (better than my colleagues using windows directly on their PC desktops).

However the screen is a bit too small unless you only need to view one modest application at a time.

I ended up using an external monitor most of the time, and when it came time to upgrade (which I do every 6 months or so), I went back to a 17" MacBook Pro.

The 17" is small by 17" laptop standards. In fact it's smaller than many 15" PC laptops, because it's thin and has a relatively small bezel, so is still very portable, and it is more convenient not having to plug it into an external screen.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My MacBook is my main (only) machine. It is just about as fast as any Mac out there bar the Mac Pro. I don't find the screen too small but if you do, an external display would be in order. A MacBook can drive a 1920X1200 display which in 24" form would be just about right.

8. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I use my MacBook as my main(only) computer. It's fast, it's powerful, I don't miss my desktop at all. The screens a good size (I thought it'd be too small, so bought a DVI-VGA adaptor. I've used it twice)
    Go for it, it more than meets your requirements.

9. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

I also plan on using my MBP/SR as my main computer. I do have a 40 inch LCD TV with a dvi that I'll be using as my monitor along with an apple wireless mouse and keyboard so I can sit on my couch and play on it. I wanted a laptop because I do travel occasionally and I wanted to be able to take it with me.

10. Klisk macrumors member

Man, all you people who update your computers all the time... Where do you get the money? Insanity!

The computer I'm using right now I built back in 1999. When I get my macbook I'm hoping to get at least 6+ years out of it too... Nevermind that I'm going to be eating super cheap for months after I get it. :p

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Many people have their employers purchase their computers for them, others sell their old(ish) machines to buy the new ones. Some are wealthy...

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The original poster's iMac is over 9 years old.

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

my 1.83GHz CD MacBook isn't happy with you.

Really, the 1.83GHz CD MacBooks are more than fast enough for basic tasks, such as webbing, chatting, documenting, etc., and even fast enough for some more complex stuff, such as photoshopping with 100MB files. Just get some good RAM into the machine, and it'll run a beauty

14. Klisk macrumors member

I know. My current computer is 8 years old.

I was only talking to the people whom replied to him.

15. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

I'm almost up to using my Macbook as my main computer. I still use my Sawtooth for photo editing. Photoshop Elements runs faster on the Sawtooth than on the Macbook. PSE isn't a universal binary, yet, so it runs like a slug on the Macbook. If I could find another app that would convert RAW images to JPEG, I'd be thrilled.

Other than that, the Macbook does everything I want and quite nicely.

16. blaaat macrumors member

I'm using MacBook (1.8ghz,1gb) as my main computer for a couple of month's now, works great, but i could use some more ram, so you should get 2gb ;)

*waiting for new MBP with 4gb ram to arrive*

17. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

i use macbook with a dell 24" as my main computer. since i got it on release day nov 8, i've probably only used it as a notebook about 200 hours active and a few hundred in sleep during transport.

it has only been shut down on the rare occasion that i do a battery calibration or something.

18. mms macrumors 6502a

It's amazing to have a laptop as a main computer. My main computer now is a 12 inch PowerBook, and I had a 12 inch iBook for 3 years before that. I have never missed my desktop computer (which, by the way, was an amazing Cube which I still have around today).

12 inches of screen space isn't a problem once you get used to it. The MacBook has more than that anyways. The MBPs have the power of the iMac and the MBs are easily more powerful than the Mac Mini. It's nice to be able to move around (even if you're just moving from your desk to a couch) and keep all that power with you.

19. danny_w macrumors 601

I use my MB and a 20" display as a desktop replacement, and I see no need at all to ever go back. It is more than fast enough for my needs and has the added advantage of portability when I need it. I hope to use this setup for several years to come.

20. Alloye macrumors 6502a

MBP + Wireless Mouse = Computing Nirvana

I develop software for a living and have no problem using a laptop as my primary/only system. It was different back when the performance gap between desktops and laptops was painfully obvious. Now I can't imagine switching back to a big, bulky tower.

21. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

A MacBook will be fine for web surfing for years to come.

22. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

my 1994 LC575 is still suitable for web surfing and doing documents, and its only got a 33MHz chip. It boots up quicker than some more recent computers, as well.

Any Mac on the market now will do the basic stuff exceptionally well.