macbook at 35% off previous

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marbles, May 2, 2008.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

thanks for looking .

What would you do ?

....buy a previous gen 2.2 Ghz Blackbook , 1Gb RAM, GMA x3100 at approx £650 UK( refurb)

or do I
    ...buy a new one with my O U discount when they get refreshed

On my new machine whatever it may turn out to be I plan on:

learning the ropes in Logic Studio ...

Using Serato Scratch or Tracktor studio

some GB podcasting

a little video editing

general web browsing

I might give iWeb a try too

(btw I do need a new machine now really ......... was waiting on the mininanotower dream but I just can't wait for anymore )

thanks for any advice

2. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Well, repeating what a lot of others have said here already. If you need it, then get it. Chances are the refresh won't happen until sometime after July. I suspect the next big announcement will be the new iPhone 2.0 refresh. New MB/MBP line will probably get a refresh well after that. Plus all the bugs that usually plague new systems.

I just bought the exact same system you mentioned [typing on it now!] and I love it. Light, snappy [even though I'll be upgrading to 4GB soon].

Good luck!

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Get it now with 35% off. I think you will enjoy it for years.

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

thanks

Oh I know ... it's really taxing me this .. I've even said the "get it you need it" bit myself ...only yesterday infact .. :D
    I would max the RAM as soon as I got it if I where to buy it , be rude not too lol @ less than £100 for 4Gb!

I was wondering though .. is this macbook that is supposedly running a little on the warm side ??

I also wondered would 4Gb RAM make any difference to this heat 'issue ' I've read about ??

ie: taxing the cpu less so keeping it cooler ... just wondering

. help ! :)

5. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

what if the new macbooks are released in a month or two? ..then the current ones will be going at the money I'm looking at paying here ?!..... then I suppose I will be out of pocket in a funny computer buying world kinda way ....... I'm going round in circle s
    :confused:

EDIT>> clciked and bought ...gotta take the plunge sometime and if it does turn out too hot then at least I can cook my breakfast as I type ... JK

no seriously though .. just bought one refurb style :D

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think you'll be very happy. My white 2.16 has been the shop for 12 days. I looked at refurb blackbooks today and they're 31% off. My clicking hand was quivering. I sure do want one. I think I'll be alright when I get mine back, maybe tomorrow...

7. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

:eek:

you've got me worried now ... what was the trouble with your 2.1 ?.

there does seem to have been some 'issues' with these Macbooks ..jeez..I hope mine is good ...
    It should be .. its refurbished ..... maybe I should have waited

btw why do you want a 2.2 if you already have the 2.1 , there basically the same machine ?! aren't they?... just curious

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I have the same machine and i wish i bought mine for £650 but i didn't...I bought it new. You will like it, just upgrade the RAM and you'll be fine.

Refurbs don't have issues in fact they're less likely to go wrong compared to newer systems because they get checked and tested before they leave the gate. I've had refurbs before and they're as new machines, you couldn't tell they were refurbs in most cases if it wasn't for the boxes they ship in. Don't panic and if by some chance you get a dud you can return it within the 14-day period or....

If you do have issues with it (i haven't had any with mine) Apple will gladly fix it for you and turn around time is around 48-72 hrs (at least from my experience) which isn't bad

I do recommend you calibrate the screen though as soon as you get it because the default profile is washed out/yellowy. If you want you can PM me and i'll send you a calibration profile i made

Also mine doesn't get hot to the point that it becomes unbearable, the fans do their job well enough to maintain temperatures

PS. The 2.2 can address 4GB of RAM whilst the 2.16 can only address 3GB. Also the 2.2 has a GMA X3100 with 144MB VRAM as opposed to the 2.16's GMA 950 64MB

9. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Yea, I want more ram, or at least have that capability and there's the graphic card. Right now, with 1 gig ram and forget the card, it's the best machine I've ever had and it's totally impressive. I basicly need to quit reading about new stuff. It had a tiny bump under the touchpad like a grain of sand that was bugging me. Took it to the local repair center. He said the part would be here tuesday and I could pick up my macbook that evening. It was ready the following friday but the case was badly scratched. So now he had to get that part for me. It came wednesday. He said it might be ready thursday. It's saturday and I'm still waiting.

10. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

thanks for easing my mind :)..

. it's silly I know ...been hanging round the forum for long enough to know the problems with these ... just panicked a bit last night :rolleyes:
    ... I suppose you will know how that is when purchasing a new Mac , oh & thanks for the offer btw

I may not even get it as it was out of hours ,so I will have to wait and see if I get the confirmation email
    ...but if I do I'm straight onto crucial for 4 gig :cool: sooo cheap at the moment its unreal ... my Imac450 512 stick was £30 uk of ebay :eek:

hope fully I will be waving bye bye to the old girl soon and saying hello sexy

EDIT> just checked mail and no message AND it's gone of the refurb store now :(

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I bought a 2.2 refurb for $1050 US. At 2/3 the price of a new 2.4, I think it's a no brainer.

12. richardhunt macrumors regular

It's only $20, but consider the fact that the currently offered 2.2 MB in the refurb store (previous revision with x3100 graphics) includes the remote, the new ones do not.

13. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

My 2.0Ghz Santa Rosa Macbook has never had heat issues. In fact, even when I'm doing heavy things, it takes a while for it to get heated up, and it cools down almost immediately. Fans never really break 1800 RPM...it's just a beautiful machine, really. 35% off is a great deal and I think you'll enjoy it a lot :) Just make sure you get the 4GB, especially for Logic. It's not that the computer isn't great with only one or two, but I got 4GB of $60 and I can't imagine living with less, just because it's so snappy compared to 1.

Enjoy your Macbook :)

Edit: I see your message now, my apologies...

14. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Thanks all for the comments but I didn't get the Macbook >> see edit on comment n0 5

appreciate your input here .

any experiences of refurb store ~ UK ~ prices and machine condition would be appreciated though .... thanks

15. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Kinda wish I'd got that machine now ( see thread start date)....still waiting ......come on Apple

MINI & Macbooks please

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think it's the old need versus want argument to a certain extent. If you need it, buy; if you want it, wait. Having said that, I'd suggest waiting until the updates and checking out the refurbs, as that is where you can get extremely good value with Apple's quite generous discounts - and warranty, and the possibility of adding in Applecare if/when you think you may need it. My proverbial tuppence worth, but good luck with it anyway. And yes, I read the thread from the beginning, and noted the original date with some surprise.
    Cheers

17. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I have to wait now ,my only option :D

Only looking for non business machines so I can hang on .....tis just a pain being on a G3 when I'm at home .

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Thanks for updating this thread rather than needlessly creating another thread moaning about the long wait for updates, gold star to you sir :D

19. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    I have heard that logic may not function on a macbook as opposed to MBP

20. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I ran it acceptably (to me) on a Mini a while back

very good
    :p
    I was just going back through some old posts and it shocked me to think when I posted
    ...so ye I'm all for recycling :D

21. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i guess this is more evidence of getting it if you really want it. kinda funny to see someone admit regret not getting it. to OP: i really hope they update next month, for your sake. :p

22. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

OP: EVERY time you see a "wait or buy now" post, PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE point them to this thread.