MacBook at Apple Store getting hard drive replaced.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iLoveMyApple, Oct 5, 2010.

1. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

My MacBook hard drive was starting to crash so I took it into the Apple Store. They said they have to replace the hard drive. When I bought the MacBook it came with Leopard pre-loaded. Apple sent the Snow Leopard disk along with it. Since the MacBook is gonna have a new hard drive, will it have Leopard again? And if so, will the Snow Leopard disk work again to load it onto my MacBook?

2. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

If for some reason it does come back with 10.5 on it, your original 10.6 install/restore disc will still work.

3. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

When Apple replaces a hard drive, they load the new one with whatever OS came with the computer when you bought it.

That was the policy last time I had an experience like this, at least - I had 10.4.11 but needed a replacement, and they gave me 10.4.8. Several gigabytes of updates later I was back in business.

Given you have the aluminum model, Snow Leopard will work on it just fine. So if it comes back with 10.5.8, I guess just wipe it and install 10.6.3 or 10.6.4, whichever the Snow Leopard disk is. Should be no problem. :)

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Nothing to worry about, they will install snow leopard onto your new hard drive.