MacBook + AT&T U-verse = Server not found??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidg4781, Dec 13, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I recently switched from AT&T DSL to AT&T U-verse internet. Since then, and this is random websites this happens, but it does happen frequently, I get the message

"Safari can't open the page "http://www.*****.com/&&&&&" because Safari can't find the server "http://www.*****.com"

Has anyone else had this issue? It's ridiculous. From talking to them today, I was told there is a known issue with Apple products and U-verse, but it has to be my computer because they haven't had any other issues with Mac users. I'm also told I cannot go back to DSL since it's not available in my area, even though all my neighbors are still on DSL (as evident by their Network IDs).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks!

That is exactly what it was. Sucks that it took me 1.5 months to figure it out. I had a feeling it was that, but wasn't sure how to change it on my end. AT&T has no idea what they're doing.

I changed it on my MacBook. Now I have to figure out how to set up the Residential Gateway with a router so I can set it on the router.

What a great day it is!

4. elizabeth074 macrumors newbie

This fix causes problems with some wifi spots

Hello,

I just wanted to say that ATT Uverse support advised me to change my DNS to the Google DNS servers to fix the above problem.

The problem with this is that when I use my computer in some coffee shops or other public wifi areas, I have to go back and delete the new DNS to use the wifi. I don't know the official terminology, but the wifi spots that route you to a login page when you try to access the first website will not load the login page.

ATT Uverse has replaced our wireless router, I have tried using Mozilla, I tried connecting my own wireless router and using that, nothing fixes the problem, unless I want to change my DNS every time I come home.

5. fishonmon macrumors newbie

MacBook + AT&T U-verse = Server not found??

I am having exactly the same problem, switched from AT&T DSL to Uverse (not by choice) it was working great before, but now it seems 1 out of 7 or 8 webpages we try to connect to report server not found. Refresh doesn't work, but sometimes closing Safari and reopening does or waiting a few minutes and trying again. Neither acceptable. We have several portable macs in the home Airport network. Do I need to change the DNS server for each device, or is there a way to specify the Google DNS on either the Airport router or the AT&T Modem?

Looking for a solution that avoids the problem elizabther074 is having when roaming to different WiFi areas.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes, you can change it just on the router and have that DNS served out to your devices that are on the network (which is why the other poster is having to change hers, as the coffee shops and such are using their own infrastructure and she can't get out when designating her own DNSs server entries, they are typically populated by the router and DHCP server for the network).

If you can get into the administration of your router you should be able to change the DNS to your preferred or selected DNS. It can be done in the Airport router as well, but then you would have to make sure that the router is dishing out the DNS server info to all of your devices on the network and the AT$T router is not serving them the info to avoid conflicts on the network (this scan easily be done by placing the router within the DMZ).

IF this is all new to you I would suggest getting someone with some networking experience to come over and help (or start reading lots on networking). The main thing is being able to get into the router's admin pages, as some companies will not give out that information. When you are in there if you don't know what you are doing, you can really mess up the modem.

7. fishonmon macrumors newbie

Thanks Squeaker

First time I have used MacRumors and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed that I found others reporting the same problems and relevant fixes to solve the problems. I wasted over an hour searching AT&T's site for a solution. Your reply was very prompt, detailed, and supportive. Thank you (and satcomer too) for taking the time to help me as well as the others that will undoubtedly find this thread.

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Your welcome and I hope you get it sorted out.

9. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm still having this exact same issue!

On the phone with AT&T tech, he doesn't know what's going on...

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Alright, just got off the phone.

He had me do a factory reset on my modem, and I still had the same issues. He had me do a second factory reset and everything seems to be working great. Before doing all that, I did change my DNS settings on my MacBook back to default.

Hopefully this helps y'all out!

11. negro napoleon macrumors member

I've heard that you can't change the DNS on U-Verse routers... have you been able to change this?

12. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I was not able to. I did find some instructions but they were kind of difficult and I didn't really want to mess with it. AT&T said they will help you do it if you pay them extra.

I hate that this has been going on for so long. I cannot wait until I move so I can fire them.