Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Letsproce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey i just got my Aluminium Macbook last month. It's great and i've been having fun with it eversince. I got it for musical purposes like recording vocals and just production. I got the Logic Pro 8 installed in it. I wanted to hook up the microphone condenser i got (samson condenser mic).

I guess my question is WHICH AUDIO INTERFACE IS BEST FOR THE LOGIC PRO? i'm just running one mic through it. I'm recording vocals only on Logic.

if anybody out there could help it would be great. Thank you!!!!

OnTrack Studios

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Orlando, FL
If you only want one track then i'd go for the m audio fast track usb.

Pro Tools M Boxes are always good. I use my M Box Pro as my soundcard. It works with all recording apps as well. I only use Pro Tools for vocals but it helps to have a standard like pro tools if you ever need to collaborate with other artists. But I started out using an M-Audo MobilePre USB. It's small and compact, VERY affordable and it has XLR inputs. I actually still have mine and my Samson C01 Condensor mic boxed up (if you're interested, lol). The only downside is it only supports 16-bit recording, 48kHz though.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB.html

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
just thought i'd add, the fast track won't work with the microphone as you'd need phantom power.

i'd recommend an m-audio interface, and either the mobile pre or fast track pro/ultra would work. but any usb audio interface with an XLR input with phantom power would work, as there's none that particularly work 'best' with logic pro (although you could argue the apogee duet is heavily endorsed by apple)

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
(although you could argue the apogee duet is heavily endorsed by apple)

I was going to suggest that as it's just about the highest quality two channel audio interface out there, but the new MacBooks don't have firewire.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
just thought i'd add, the fast track won't work with the microphone as you'd need phantom power.

i'd recommend an m-audio interface,

Check that m-audio has a driver for Mac OS X 10.5.6. Last I looked they only suported older versions of Mac OS. Older drivers do work. Untill you want to "push" it a little by trying to use some less used settings

This advice applies to all of them, checkout the software before you buy.

Things to look for
1) "monitoring". Will you be using headphones or speakers or both. Do you need a volume control on each or is using the mouse pull downs OK?

2) Look for "good" preamps. You don't want to hear them

3) Will you ever want to use any "processors" in the channel. Like a limiter or EQ. This is good to have before the D/A if you can Some of the audio interfaces allow for "inserts" like these.

Here is a good list of interfaces:
http://www.recordingreview.com/soundcard/soundcard_wizard.php

The "Tracker Pre" by E-MU may do what you need. It is like their "0202" but has phantom power, a steel enclosure and "inserts" should you need them later. I think the street price is about $150

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
Check that m-audio has a driver for Mac OS X 10.5.6. Last I looked they only suported older versions of Mac OS. Older drivers do work. Untill you want to "push" it a little by trying to use some less used settings

This advice applies to all of them, checkout the software before you buy.

Things to look for
1) "monitoring". Will you be using headphones or speakers or both. Do you need a volume control on each or is using the mouse pull downs OK?

2) Look for "good" preamps. You don't want to hear them

3) Will you ever want to use any "processors" in the channel. Like a limiter or EQ. This is good to have before the D/A if you can Some of the audio interfaces allow for "inserts" like these.

Here is a good list of interfaces:
http://www.recordingreview.com/soundcard/soundcard_wizard.php

The "Tracker Pre" by E-MU may do what you need. It is like their "0202" but has phantom power, a steel enclosure and "inserts" should you need them later. I think the street price is about $150

10.5.3 onwards is in BETA for the fast track pro, and it's running fine for me. should i be worried?

Letsproce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
thanks to everyone for their advice and input. I finally got the Tascam Usb US 144. It works okay and all. I'm having problems know in Logic. I have everything set up and going on. As i start recording the vocals a pop up window in Logic saying ERROR WHILE TRYING TO SYNCHRONIZE AUDIO AND MIDI then the sounds goes off for like 2 minutes then comes back.

any suggestions on whats happening???

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
good choice with the tascam, a friend of mine got one of those a while ago. he runs his fine with logic so can't think of what the problem could be. have you downloaded the latest drivers?

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
If you only want one track then i'd go for the m audio fast track usb.

I used to use that exact interface, and it "works" but it is NOT very high quality.

I upgraded to the Duet by Apogee (FireWire) but the new Aluminum MacBooks do not have a FireWire input, so I suggest possibly using this audio interface, it is USB and I believe it will be a better quality M-Audio interface than the Fast Track.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.