Macbook audio is not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dougieskins, Nov 3, 2008.

1. dougieskins macrumors newbie

Hi there,

My Macbook's sound isn't working for any applications, but it works for Mac sounds like the noise made when the volume is turned up, the starting up sounds work and When I go on the sound preferences and sound effects all those sounds work.

But then when I try and use itunes or vlc those sounds don't work, garage band sound doesn't work, NO apps sound works. Same thing happens for speakers and headphones.

I am a very new mac user so I have no idea what to do!

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Both iTunes and VLC (I don't use G'Band) have their own volume controls. Check that they're not somehow set to nil, or are muted.

For the headphones, there may be an issue with the port itself. Plug/unplug the headphone jack several times. Check too that there isn't a red light glowing all the time just inside the port. However that shouldn't be the case as you say the startup plus some other sounds are working.

3. dougieskins thread starter macrumors newbie

No i've checked vlc and itunes the volume is full. There isn't a red light either and I tried plugging the headphones in and out still ain't working.
    I'm wondering whether there's a setting or a command that I've accidentally pressed that turns off the sounds for applications!?