Macbook Audio Lag

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Crow47, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Crow47 macrumors member

I decided I'd put Vista on my macbook just for kicks. So far it works pretty well, except for one glaring issue that I did not have in XP. About once every minute, the audio will become laggy. The audio will literally slow down and a static sound can be heard. This happens in anything that uses audio, and the problem repeats itself exactly once a minute. I have tried reinstalling drivers from my Leopard disc, but to no avail. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem?

Thanks.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If XP didn't have the problem, it sounds like the issues are with a vista driver.

3. Crow47 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I figured as much. Is there any way I can get an updated driver?

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I believe this is by design - the audio driver will power down the audio chip periodically to save battery power. There will be a slight delay to first sounds as the chip powers back up.

5. Crow47 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, but it happens once a minute, regardless of whether audio is playing or not.

6. King.Tezz macrumors newbie

King.Tezz

hey am having the exact same problem as u say...can someone help me out.
    I have a macbook pro 2.5ghz 250gb 2gb ram 512mb 8800gt with windows xp on it. the problem happens on the windows xp only not on the mac os. my friends have the same notebook except that they are slightly older with mac os tiger and mine is leopard running with windows XP in it and they dont get this problem...is this some sort of defect or issues with os leopard....can this be fixed....:confused::confused: :( the audio lag is really really annoying.....need help...

7. dp33usa macrumors newbie

Windows XP Fix

I had the same problem with Windows XP and I noticed a Vista Driver listed as well so I'm guessing this will help you.

All the audio is being controlled by a device called "Realtek High Definition Audio". The device driver is old so I figured I'd check out Realtek on the web to see if they had an updated driver.

When you type into google "realtek high definition audio driver" in the search box it's the first option. Click on the link and it'll ask you to accept the terms then continue. Once you continue it lists all the drivers for this device.

Here's the trick though. When you download the driver and upzip it you assume that clicking on the setup application will automatically install it. That is NOT the case. It will fail.

These steps worked for me.

1) Unzip the file to a folder you will point to later.
    2) Go into Device Manager and Double click "Sound, Video and game controllers". Double Click "realtek high Definition Audio". A new window will pop up.
    3) Go to the "Driver" tab and you will see a button towards the bottom left corner that says "Update Driver...". Click this button and go thru the steps to find the driver.
    4) Once you get to the option of "Install the software automatically" or "Install from a list or specific location" pick "Install from a list or specific location".
    5) In the browse tab find the folder where you upziped all the driver files and select next. It should find the files needed to update and update the driver to the latest and greatest.

Since I've done this I haven't had a single issue with audio lag whereas before I was getting audio lag every 20-30 seconds regardless of which program i used or which song I played.

The file name driver that I downloaded for windows xp was WDM_R212.zip. Not sure what the driver is called for Vista, but I'm willing to be you can find it on that same website and you can probably use similar steps to fix the problem.

Hope this helps.

8. King.Tezz macrumors newbie

King.Tezz

Did the same thing as u said, the driver got updated n all but am still having the same problem :mad:

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Its the wireless card. Vista decides to scan for a network every minute and when it scans, it creates interference for the sound card. Disable wireless and run on wired and try.

10. King.Tezz macrumors newbie

King.Tezz

i use Xp not vista but the funny thing is there are times when i loose wireless signal all the sudden...doesnt happen to my other HP laptop only does this on windows on mac...:(

11. skynet01 macrumors newbie

problem solved !!

STUTTERING SOUND SOLVED!!! :):)
    ok i have solved the laggy sound problem. Like someone pointed out it was the wifi driver. I just updated it to the latest version and that fixed it. Mac book pro comes with Broadcom 4322AG chipset so i go an hp driver from here:
    http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R212337.EXE

This one is 5.10.91.4
    and the one that came with bootcamp was 4.170.xx.x something

you have to do a force install (use have disk option and then select 4322AG the one with an N from the list).

12. King.Tezz macrumors newbie

King.Tezz

but thats all for windows vista 32 :(
    i am running a service pack 3 windows xp
    cudnt find the same drivers for windows xp