MacBook Audio - Left Channel Fading

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by agreenberg19, Jul 27, 2009.

1. agreenberg19 macrumors newbie

The left speaker (using headphones) is at least half the volume of the right speaker. I have tested this using 3 different sets of earphones and I have ensured that System Preferences/Sound/Balance is centered.

The MacBook is about 3 years old and is running OS X 10.5.7, if that makes a difference. Is there a user fix for this?

:confused:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Do the internal speakers suffer from this same issue?

If not, sounds like maybe a damaged 3.5mm output jack.

3. agreenberg19 thread starter macrumors newbie

===
    The internal speakers work fine. I tested the audio out jack again with another 2 pair of (more expensive) earphones and they both worked OK.

So what are the chances that my first 3 tests were with bad earphones?

Thank you for the reply.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Could just be an overly sensitive headphone jack. Do you use it a lot? Maybe the contacts are wearing out.

5. agreenberg19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I do use it often. I wonder if I can get access to the contacts to bend them back into position. hmmm...

Thanks again.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you're still under AppleCare (if you purchased it) or very recently out of it, you should either give them a call, or swing by your local Apple store and see if they can help you.

7. TofuDog macrumors newbie

Fading left channel

I've got a similar issue with the left channel fading on my BlackBook, bought 1 year ago, just after introduction of the (firewire free) AluBooks. My left channel fades in and out with external speakers plugged in. The odd thing is there is no "crackle" or effect of wiggling the mini plug around -it's as though it's a software issue(?) or at least it's very atypical behavior for a problem with the physical connection at the jack. I say this because there is no "noise" as when you partially insert/remove the stereo plug, and apparently no effect of jiggling the plug around in the jack. I'm baffled.

I dread the idea of sending my MB to AppleCare to fix a subtle, intermittent problem (if you listen for several minutes, it will fade, but that's not a black/white, "it's broken" kinda thing...). Anybody else deal with this???