Macbook audio problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vohke, Jun 18, 2011.

1. vohke macrumors newbie

I bought my white macbook back in summer 2007. The model is a macbook 2,1 intel core 2 duo 2.16ghz.

I've had audio issues for a while now, and different forums (this one mainly) have been able to help me out of them. I am a musician and this is bothering me greatly lately...

First problem I had was that the audio input for headphones only worked when the cable was held backwards under something. (Example: I would connect my headphones but sound would be heard in headphones only when the cable was bent a little backwards and force was applied in the cable to retain the angle [usually put the cable under the back left side of the macbook.. Still was a pain in concerts and making music if I had to move the macbook]).

Second problem I had is that when I'm listening to anything online (has happened mainly with videos), audio distorts and it's impossible to make something out of it. It's impossible to understand any of it. When I pause it for a little bit I the audio works again but usually not for a long time. The video runs wonderfully, meaning it's only audio the issue. I read on forums about checking the activity monitor and seeing if it was being too demanding on my ram (i got 1GB ram) but it's not... resetting vram too.. still didn't work.

Third problem (could be the same as second but I wouldn't know): when I'm watching in VLC some video, the audio icon in the top right will go grey and audio won't come out (as if i'm muting it) and it will go black again and sound will come back. It's very annoying.

Is there anything you can recommend? I did try the match thing back in 2008 and it worked fine for problem 1. Maybe problem 2 and 3 happened because of too much messing around? I was always very careful when doing this. I read that maybe ram is old and damaged so I might change to 3GB ram when I have the money (3 is the max for my macbook :D)

If you can address any of the 3 problems I have I'd be more than happy.
    I've got no money for a new macbook and this one (imo) should last longer than just 4 years.

Thanks in advance!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Sounds like you have bad audio ports on your logic board. Therefore, the solutions are as follows:

1) Replace the logic board
    2) Replace the machine
    3) Get an external audio I/O device. i.e. get something that plugs up to USB or FireWire and completely bypasses the internal audio circuitry on the logic board.