Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xtreambar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Washington, DC
Sometimes, while watching a streaming video on my Macbook, the audio begins stuttering and tearing (that's the best way I think to describe it). Pausing and refreshing the tab is useless, and, usually, closing and reopening the browser is equally useless. This problem is not limited to just one steaming site -- issues occur on Youtube, Hulu, Megavideo etc... For about ten minutes (though sometimes longer), the audio across all programs on my Macbook does not work properly until the problem mysteriously solves itself. Rebooting, however, consistently solves the problem.

Thanks in advance!

lindorz

Cancelled.
Sep 1, 2007
I have been having the same issue as well... and have not been able to find the solution to this issue... I just quit the browser and reopen the browser and the audio is fine after that... Let me know if you figure something out... This is seriously annoying.. :(

ensee

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
I've been having the same problem. Sometimes it fixes itself but an easy fix is to plug in a set of headphones and then remove them. A couple of seconds plugged in seems to fix it.

It's a crappy solution but thanks for posting the problem - good to know it's not unique to my MacBook (Late 2006 - getting replaced soon!)

Hope that works.

Xtreambar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Washington, DC
Same! My teaching fellow position for grad school just came through, so my '06 CoreDuo MacBook might finally be replaceable. Too many small, out of warranty problems adding up to bother paying someone to look at it + get repairs -- power cord failed AGAIN, fans almost constantly runs high (no print que or PRAM issues, tried using compressed air), a screw on the inside is stuck and stripped, the battery is weak as all hell, and the wrist-rest is cracking AGAIN just to name a few problems.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
anybody have any new info regarding macbook audio distortion problems? i have a black macbook from @ 2006 and every time i play itunes or any video (DVD, netflix, youtube), i hear a crack/pop, then the audio begins to stutter/distort and the video starts to lag. it's gotten worse and worse and now i can't play any media whatsoever :mad:

kdubbs117

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
same problem

wow same exact problem here but i never found anyone until now that had it. Yeah the crackling has continuously gotten worse for me and i can't even watch one decent minute of streaming video smoothly now. Ill post again if i ever find a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.