Macbook audio/video studder....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silentsnake09, Feb 3, 2009.

1. silentsnake09 macrumors member

OK I have the most annoying problem with my macbook. Its a Core2Duo blackbook from late 2006. For the past few months videoplay back has been horrible. What it does it when I am watching some video the audio and video will skip than miss a few frames than jump a few than just freeze or crash itunes or vlc. I have no idea what us causing this if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Playback of any audio/video content on a Mac is going to be related to QuickTime. Check if you're running QuickTime 7.6, if you aren't, update. If you already are, look in /Library/QuickTime. If anything is there like Perian, Flip4Mac, 3ivx, pull the component files out to the Desktop, restart the computer, and try playback again.

3. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

ok 7.6 pro is installed, pulling everything out of the quicktime folder and restarting now

4. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

nope still no good. what the hell causes this. once it happens the audio sync is thrown off and the video starts skipping frames its so damn annoying!

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Hmm, system doesn't have the integrated or discrete cards found in the unibody notebooks. I'm guessing you're trying to watch local files on the system, they're not streaming or anything? Open up a file and go to the Window menu, then "Show Movie Inspector." What are the audio/video codecs in use?

6. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

ok I usually watch is podcasts. Like say diggnation, large and hd formats both skip horriably.

7. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

there is a screenshot, I should add it also makes me loose ontrol of my mouse and input to it stops when the video jumps and cpu usage spikes.

8. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

if it makes any sense, stuff I download from other places works fine. Such as divx movies and stuff. It seems to be stuff downloaded from itunes is the worst, even in VLC. I added I bigger pic for the codecs it using.
    [​IMG]

9. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

i did archive and install and memory test came back fine. any other ideas?

10. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

I'm repairing disk permissions, any chance that can cause this?

11. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You kinda mixed up the order there :). You're supposed to run disk utility before reinstalling the OS. There really isn't a point to running DU after reinstalling. The A&I is about the third or second to last option before a non-preserving archive & install or an erase & install, which both seem a bit excessive.

12. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

so I am sure its all heat now. I got the top keyboard area off my macbook and I am running HD video, ichat, mail, and firefox with 8 tabs open flawlessly. The macbook is running 20 C cooler than when its all closed up. So my question is, whats the best cooler for the macbook? I am not under warranty so I cant send it in.

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Just download Plex. All your problems will go away...

14. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

wat good is a media player going to do? I am over heating. I am running the macbook without the keyboard now lol. Like running a car with no hood.

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Plex is more efficient at decoding, thus your cpu will work less, thus your computer will not get as hot. Quicktime, VLC - they both suck.

Also, what's the bit rate of your video and what's its container?

16. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

I dunno I mostly watch podcasts in 720 from iTunes

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Any Core 2 Duo Mac should be able to cut through 720p h.264/AAC like a hot knife through butter. Even a 2 gHz Mini can handle Blu-ray rips and they're at 1080p and 30 mbps bit rate (or more). How much RAM do you have and what other processes do you have running (from Activity Monitor)?

18. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

2 gigs of RAM. I am tell you its heat. If I have the machine all sealed up the temp goes up to like 80C and skips and crashes with just VLC going. When I have the top off and the heat can escape it stays at 65C and runs smooth with VLC,firefox, mial, and ichat

19. silentsnake09 thread starter macrumors member

maybe the thermal paste wore out on the cpu? I don't know why this just recently became an issue. I am thinking if I get a good laptop cooler and put the macbook back together it will all be fine.