Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My first one purchased December 2015, Replaced late February 2016. Problem still persists. Does not happen with my 3 year old Mac Air and that track pad was the same one used on the Mac Book Pro's back then. This newer trackpad is ultra, overly sensitive. just the slightest touch sets off a cursor move.
You may not have the problem because you don't type in the same manner as I do.
NOTE: The Mac Book Pro changed to this more sensitive track pad in mid 2015 and if you got yours in early 2015, you got the older design.
As previously mentioned, the post you responded to was from 2011, so the OP obviously had an older Macbook than your first one. Therefore, your theory that it has something to do with "older" vs "newer" doesn't hold water. I've had several Macs dating back 8 years, and have never had such problems. The problem isn't with the Mac, but with the user.

Photoggal

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2016
I have done most if not all of the suggestions on this forum, but the issue of auto deleting is still happening. It originally happened while writing an email on Yahoo, so I assumed it was a glitch of theirs, but then it began on other programs. It will just automatically start deleting everything (including whole emails!). It has happened on Facebook, Pages, etc. it seems to be related in some way to a keyboard stroke, but my keyboard is a Mac keyboard and it is in good shape (haven't spilled anything on it or done anything to it) and my computer is a Mac mini 2015 with Yosemite, the latest version. I changed out the mouse, thinking it was that. So apparently some if not all of these issues are not solved by changing out keyboards or even the mouse or trying to set certain settings. I did all of those too. Would it have anything to do with an incompatibility with the keyboard and the newer version of Mac? I have thought this all along but was checking forums to see, but others have changed out and done the same thing. Is it anything to do with the mouse? Again, I use a usb connected mouse, no bluetooth and hardwired to the computer and believe it definitely can be a bluetooth issue, but, alas I don't have that either. I also checked keystroke settings and we'll see if that helps, because if it is sensitive I could see where the delete key could just start deleting. The only way I've stopped it is to click on the esc key or just clicking out of the window and going to another window or just clicking to desktop! This is really something Mac needs to address if I'm seeing this on a forum about deleting text then something isn't right. And just as i was finishing up this not, it starting deleting!! Better hurry and send it before it's gone again!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your first suspect should be the possibility of a bad keyboard.
Try a different keyboard for a few days to check that your problem is gone.

RoniSue

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
I finally figured out what is causing this!! I'm using the Apple bluetooth keyboard, which is several years old. I finally figured out that when I press the shift key too hard (hard press), it highlights a bunch of text, usually part of the text if have just typed. If I don't notice, and just keep typing, of course it types over what was highlighted. I'm not sure if the hard press is meant to do that, or if it's something wrong with my keyboard. Now that I know what it is, I just try to be careful not to press the shift key too hard. If I accidentally do it, I just edit/undo typing, and my text is back. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be some function of a hard press of the shift key?

I have done most if not all of the suggestions on this forum, but the issue of auto deleting is still happening. It originally happened while writing an email on Yahoo, so I assumed it was a glitch of theirs, but then it began on other programs. It will just automatically start deleting everything (including whole emails!). It has happened on Facebook, Pages, etc. it seems to be related in some way to a keyboard stroke, but my keyboard is a Mac keyboard and it is in good shape (haven't spilled anything on it or done anything to it) and my computer is a Mac mini 2015 with Yosemite, the latest version. I changed out the mouse, thinking it was that. So apparently some if not all of these issues are not solved by changing out keyboards or even the mouse or trying to set certain settings. I did all of those too. Would it have anything to do with an incompatibility with the keyboard and the newer version of Mac? I have thought this all along but was checking forums to see, but others have changed out and done the same thing. Is it anything to do with the mouse? Again, I use a usb connected mouse, no bluetooth and hardwired to the computer and believe it definitely can be a bluetooth issue, but, alas I don't have that either. I also checked keystroke settings and we'll see if that helps, because if it is sensitive I could see where the delete key could just start deleting. The only way I've stopped it is to click on the esc key or just clicking out of the window and going to another window or just clicking to desktop! This is really something Mac needs to address if I'm seeing this on a forum about deleting text then something isn't right. And just as i was finishing up this not, it starting deleting!! Better hurry and send it before it's gone again!
[doublepost=1469735346][/doublepost]WAIT! I just discovered something...please ignore what I just posted about the hard press on the shift key! In addition to my bluetooth keyboard, I also have a magic trackpad. My keyboard has been sitting on a cloth next to the trackpad, making it sit just a little bit higher than the trackpad. I was testing the hard press of the shift key and realized that the keyboard was overlapping and sitting a little bit on top of the trackpad, so when I would press the shift key too hard (the one on the right), it would actually cause a hard press on the trackpad! Duh! So now I've made sure the keyboard is level with the trackpad, and the issue is gone.

I finally figured out what is causing this!! I'm using the Apple bluetooth keyboard, which is several years old. I finally figured out that when I press the shift key too hard (hard press), it highlights a bunch of text, usually part of the text if have just typed. If I don't notice, and just keep typing, of course it types over what was highlighted. I'm not sure if the hard press is meant to do that, or if it's something wrong with my keyboard. Now that I know what it is, I just try to be careful not to press the shift key too hard. If I accidentally do it, I just edit/undo typing, and my text is back. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be some function of a hard press of the shift key?

Mitzie

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2017
Hi all,
I am having a problem that I hope someone can help me solve. Lately, my macbook has been auto-deleting typing. I have noticed it especially on social networking sites (namely Facebook), but also when typing in word documents. I will be entering in text then it will select the text randomly and backspace, without me actually touching those keys. Sometimes it also changes the cursor so that it shows up in the middle of the word. It is getting really annoying because it is taking me ages to type anything. It isn't key specific and seems to happen randomly. At first I thought that I may have a virus, so I did a scan and that isn't the case...any other suggestions?
[doublepost=1486590437][/doublepost][doublepost=1486590701][/doublepost]I am having the same problem. Have a brand new Mac Pro,
and the keyboard seem to be too sensitive in every way. There was a constant dictionary popup, which I figured out how to dismantle, and was hoping this was some thing similar, but can't seem to figure
out how. Hope someone can help!!! "IT IS SO ANNOYING AND TIME CONSUMING!!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
[doublepost=1486590437][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1486590701][/doublepost]I am having the same problem. Have a brand new Mac Pro,
and the keyboard seem to be too sensitive in every way. There was a constant dictionary popup, which I figured out how to dismantle, and was hoping this was some thing similar, but can't seem to figure
out how. Hope someone can help!!! "IT IS SO ANNOYING AND TIME CONSUMING!!
Probably a bad keyboard, as that problem can be a sticking key. Try a different keyboard. If you don't have a spare, maybe you can borrow one just to test. The keyboard does NOT have to be an Apple-brand keyboard. Any USB keyboard should work.

Mitzie

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2017
The problem is that the newer trackpads are ultra sensitive. Just a whisper of touch from your thumb or your palm while you are typing will cause the cursor to jump. The older trackpads did not have this problem. There are NO setting changes or software patches that will fix the problem. Using a bluetooth trackpad in not acceptable because I purchased a laptop to be used without a lot of other equipment. APPLE is refusing to accept responsibility for a bad design flaw. A very ($2500) expensive one.
I AGREE. THIS NEW KEYPADS ARE WAY TO SENSITIVE.

Kestenalive

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2019
malibu
I am having the same problem. Words in a Word document randomly disappear and other words are randomly pasted in the document. It is incredibly frustrating.

Hi all,
I am having a problem that I hope someone can help me solve. Lately, my macbook has been auto-deleting typing. I have noticed it especially on social networking sites (namely Facebook), but also when typing in word documents. I will be entering in text then it will select the text randomly and backspace, without me actually touching those keys. Sometimes it also changes the cursor so that it shows up in the middle of the word. It is getting really annoying because it is taking me ages to type anything. It isn't key specific and seems to happen randomly. At first I thought that I may have a virus, so I did a scan and that isn't the case...any other suggestions?
[doublepost=1561987037][/doublepost]
I AGREE. THIS NEW KEYPADS ARE WAY TO SENSITIVE.

What eventually happened? I have the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.