MacBook automatically prompting to shutdown? Need help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heathater, Feb 15, 2009.

1. heathater macrumors newbie

Hello all, my first post here so i hope i can get some help! My macbook with osx 10.4 is automatically prompting to "shutdown, restart, sleep etc." Like i pushed the power button. However, i did not push the power button for the prompt to appear. This is my dilema. Also every once in a while the f12 key prompt widgets will pop up for now reason as well. Can anyone help me with this problem?

2. aluminumapple macrumors regular

thats most likely hardware problem. do you have any slant keys? or maybe a program that might affect your keys? id advise to do a hardware test , and also update the os :p

3. heathater thread starter macrumors newbie

no there is no slanted key's etc. of any kind. The laptop is only 6 months old. worked great till last week then this started happening. What program is good for hardware diagnostics on a mac? i am new to mac sorry:) or a good fix it program?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Do you mean in addition to the Apple Hardware Test included on the disks that came with your system? There is an Apple document on using the included hardware test here to help out.

5. heathater thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for so many threads....I do not have the disks that came with the computer. I am possibly having hardware trouble with the computer and i am wandering if there are aftermarket programs that do hardware tests on mac's. i am new to the mac community so i do not know what is out there.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

While there are several that can test storage (the hard drives that is) and some that can test memory, I am not aware of one that will test things like the main logic board, etc like the Apple one can.

I would really suggest that, at least for future use, you obtain a duplicate set of the System Restore disks for this and other reasons as they are almost essential to have for some Mac tasks. You can obtain a duplicate set from Apple directly by calling Apple Support and telling them you would like to purchase a replacement set of "fulfillment disks" as they call them. They will get the serial number of your Mac to make sure you get the right set, and will ship them to you for a moderate fee. The last set I got was $32, shipping included.

Also, there is a very in-depth pool of knowledge in the users here, and if you were able to describe the basics of what kind of problem you are experiencing I'm sure you would get some very good suggestions to help take care of it! ;)

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

in OSX 10.4 f12 key = widget key

Could the power key be caught on something?

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Double check your Energy Saver preferences->Advanced and make sure it wasn't set to auto-power on or auto-shutdown regularly.

10. heathater thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone! Thanks for the help! I am going to order those disks and go from there! This has been an awesome site so far! I have another thread with the exact problem. I made a few threads by accident instead of just making one lol. Thx so much for the help!

11. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Did you try my advice...? Takes 2 seconds.

12. heathater thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i did, settings were as normal...nothing out of the ordinary

13. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

What?