Macbook awake when closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by robson, Apr 22, 2015.

1. robson macrumors newbie

I noticed my Macbook drains battery when it is closed for some reason. I closed my computer after I was done with work and the battery was around 30%, and when I opened it later tonight the battery was at 5%! Is this happening with anyone else? I just got the computer yesterday and haven't messed too much with settings.

Other than this, the computer is amazing. I love the screen, keyboard, and the battery life is amazing (besides the draining while closed....)

2. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

3. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

There have been some other posts around here describing the same thing; above and beyond the energy that Power Nap (which, it's important to note, is turned OFF by default while on battery power) would drain. From what I gather, the machine is staying connected to WiFi, but I have yet to determine whether or not any data is being sent back and forth.

Maybe others can chip in with their experiences thus far.

4. robson thread starter macrumors newbie

The strange thing is, I made sure powernap was disabled. I also stored my computer in my car far away from wifi networks, so it wasn't pulling data during the time it was draining battery. It was like the computer wasn't going to sleep or something.

5. newellj macrumors 601

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

A few have mentioned this problem. I am sure apple will push an update soon.

7. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I have the same problem. I did a few tests but nothing has worked yet. Yesterday it drained 10% in 8 hours. Same last night.

From the logs, it does sleep, but wakes up a couple of times. Power Nap is disabled.

8. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Haven't seen it in my rMB but I have seen it in my rMBP 13". Closed the lid with 100% battery, opened it a couple days later to 5%.

9. newellj macrumors 601

Odd. I closed mine last night at 100%, unplugged - it was 99% this morning with Word, Safari and Acrobat Pro left open.

10. robson thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe it is a software issue if this is happening on a MBP too. I am running 10.10.3

11. noobinator macrumors 601

Just got mine and updated to 10.10.3 last night. Unplugged it at 100% last night at 10pm. Closed it immediately. Power nap on default setting of disabled.

It was still at 100% at 9am this morning.