MacBook Back From Repair....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BillyBobBongo, Jun 19, 2008.

1. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

.....and it didn't cost a thing. Which is nice! ;)

So, here's the deal. My MacBook started showing signs of cracking a few weeks back, the usual story with the magnets breaking the top case, so I wandered into my local Apple store to see about it being replaced. It's a little more than a year old but they guy behind the desk nattered about how it was a common problem and, although it would take a week, it would certainly fall under the guarantee still.

Yesterday I picked up my MacBook. Not only had they changed the deck around the keyboard they had also replaced the entire bottom case. When I got it home and all booted up the Updater kicked in to tell me that the 'Keyboard Firmware' needed to be updated?!

I had always had the impression that when they replaced the deck around the keyboard that it was just a piece of plastic. But....oooh sorry, bad English to start a sentence with 'but'......but anyway, it appears that the entire top deck including the keyboard and trackpad have been replaced!

Is this a common place occurrence? or have I just totally 'lucked out' this time?

Either way...I'm one satisfied customer! :D

2. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

The trackpad, keyboard and palm rest are actually all one part for Apple, so they do replace the whole thing.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yep, it's all one piece - each melted to the other by little plastic tabs.

4. BillyBobBongo thread starter macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Oooh....I see! I always thought that the cover was just....well....a cover! :D

Thanks for clearing that up!