Macbook backlight not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hew2702, May 29, 2015.

1. hew2702 macrumors newbie

I have an early 2009 model Macbook running Yosemite. Recently the backlight will flash for a second or two after opening the computer and then go dark. The screen works perfectly fine - only the backlight is on the fritz. I've tried zapping the PRAM (let it chime at least 7 times) and that worked until I closed and reopened my computer again. After that it no longer fixed the issue. I also tried resetting the SMC but still no luck. A friend of mine suggested it might be a hardware issue with the reed switch but I'd like to rule out everything else before taking my computer apart. Thanks for the help!

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I had a similar issue with my mid-2007 MB a few years back, it turned out that the inverter cable for the backlight was at fault. The Apple store charged me around $35 for that repair IIRC so it's actually a fairly cheap fix.

3. hew2702 thread starter macrumors newbie

But would a hardware issue like an inverter cable be even temporarily fixed by zapping the PRAM?

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

A PRAM reset will not fix a bad inverter cable, you have to get it replaced. Having it work again after the PRAM reset was a coincidence, the inverter cable usually gets worn out by repeated opening and closing of the screen.

5. hew2702 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, I'll look into doing that then. Thanks!