Macbook Backlit Keyboard Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Farkum, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Farkum macrumors newbie

I have a 2.0 ghz glassbook and I love it.... other than it doesn't have the backlit keyboard. I didn't even think about that until I got home. Does anyone know if I can switch my keyboard out for a 2.4ghz keyboard and get the backlight?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

4. Farkum thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, fair enough. Its all good, I can live without it. Only really would use it when typing in passwords because I make some of them too complicated.

5. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

Can you see your keyboard in the dark if you turn your screen brightness up? I would've thought you could, but I don't know, since I don't have a MacBook yet.

6. D.M.S macrumors member

I'd swap the keyboard out for a white keyboard.

Or better yet if someone made silver keys for it.that'd be the balls!

Are all keyboards now the same across the entire apple line?

7. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

i noticed my 2.4ghz keyboard is different from the older macbooks in terms of the function keys. There is the backlit buttons for the keyboard on f5 and f6. dashboard and expose are f4 and f3 instead of on the f8 and so forth.

Minor differences but beyond that, they are the same size. Not sure if the 2.0ghz keyboard is the same though.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The main difference is that you now also have proper media control keys for changing tracks and pausing playback. It is a revolution, and it was introduced in the late 2007 MacBook model.

9. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Except for the USB and BT keyboards which use white chiclets.

10. pbkiller macrumors regular

Is it just me, or the keyboard of the base Aluminum MacBook is different from the MacBook Air and MBP? And im not just saying with the backlit keyboard, i mean the texture... I tried the base 2.0 Ghz and the keyboard feels like my old Black MacBook, like "cheap" plastic, stuck with residue from my oily fingers. This didnt happen with my PowerBook, and it's different from the 2.4GHz and the MBP... Can anyone confirm that the backlit keyboard from the 2.4 Aluminum MacBook is the same quality as the one from the new Air or the MPB? Do those actually get the oily residue as well?

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It might end up being almost as expensive as just buying the more expensive MB. If you really want it you might be able to get the store to upgrade you without the restocking fee since you are giving them more money.

12. daveybe macrumors newbie

My security settings require a password when waking from sleep. In that case, the backlight doesn't come on until after i enter the password. So, no loss for you there. (The backlight is operative at the login screen, though.)

13. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

point taken.

question:
    the late 2007 models had a keyboard backlit logo on the f5 and f6 since they are the same?

14. jstn macrumors newbie

did anyone find a serious solution to this? i am interested as well

thank you

15. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

you probably could switch the unibodies (including keyboard) of the machines

16. jstn macrumors newbie

yeah i was thinking about it more and there are too many issues for it to be feasible with power being most imp.

17. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    If you "just got it", take it back where you bought it and upgrade, even Best Buy drops the restock fee if you buy a more expensive model and ask nicely.

18. jstn macrumors newbie

i purchased when they came out and didn't know that the "base" didn't have the illuminated keyboard.:( its not a big deal, i figured the illuminated keyboard could plug right in, but thinking about it more im sure that there are multiple issues to deal with.

19. Farkum thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, its the more expensive part thats the killer. I am sure they would I just don't need anything else but the backlit keyboard and its not worth the $400 to me... oh well, I'll live without.

20. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Actually that'd be tits!