Macbook backup on Synology 413j options...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aceq, May 26, 2015.

1. Aceq macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have (what seems to be) a common issue of failing to backup my Macbook to Synology NAS via Time Machine. I set it up so that it's backed up to 2 drives in the NAS (both are 1TB), but very quickly my 500Gb Macbook would not backup as TM would declare there isn't sufficient space. I increased allowance and it worked ok for a few weeks, but then got to the same problem again.

My Macbook is about 400Gb heavy. But I don't like it that 2TB is not enough to back up these 400Gbs.

I am no longer sure if this is my TM that has an issue or my two Synology drives... Having checked the net, I see a sea of issues reported with TM backing up to a NAS, rather than a Time Capsule...

So I was wondering if it's possible (and make sense) to completely ignore TM on my Mac and instead set up a different backup solution with Synology?..

thanks much for any tips and ideas in advance

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Ok while you say it's only 400GB, that's needed just the first backup - you need room for the delta changes too. If you are making lots changes you might be either out of space or trying to keep too many increments..

What have you allocated??

3. ColdCase, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

The synology destination for my time machine backups was quirky and scary. Some here have reported good results, but I'm just an average Joe and after similar struggles for months, I just gave up and switched to CarbonCopyCloner. There are other similar backup apps. I use a Mac server or Time Capsule for Time machine destinations, and the synology as a CCC destination and haven't had one issue since... well one of the desktop type drives in the synology failed and I had to rebuild. I'm not a fan of desktop drives in a NAS.

One should only use an apple approved device for a time machine backup destination. Time machine will report that its out of room sometimes as the disk fills up. The notification will include something like "the next backup attempt will prune out old stuff and make room for the new stuff", and it will. There was one time, I think, It went through a couple failed attempts before sufficient space was freed up. But there was a lot going on at that time.

4. Aceq thread starter macrumors newbie

My TM says "145GB of 1.07TB available"
    Oldest backup - none
    Latest backup - none

But that's probably because I switched the TM off some months ago...

I remember that when I set this thing up I used some RAD system whereby the data was copied twice and laid over between the 3 hard drives... I might have forgotten all the details, but I am sure you get the picture...

5. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

If the data is old, delete the volumes are start again...

6. Aceq thread starter macrumors newbie

AFEPPL, That's what I thought, too. But soon after TM will again say "not enough space". Are there any settings that I am missing to check off so that the TM manages the space correctly?...

What is the right way to delete the volumes?

thanks much!!!

7. Doug Hope macrumors member

Doug Hope

Are you running VMware? I found that my virtual machines were taking up about 40gb a backup, which was filling my space fast.

8. Aceq thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, not running vmware. Bare bones, simple design...