MacBook battery advice - cutting out without charger

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by martindrums, May 12, 2009.

1. martindrums macrumors newbie

Hi, any advice much appreciated:

My MacBook has just started to cut out when not plugged into the mains. It doesn't seem likely to me that this is a problem with the battery itself, as it was performing fine a few days ago, lasting several hours with no problems. Now, if I unplug the mains charger, it cuts out straight away, and if I try to switch it on when unplugged, it makes a feable noise as if trying to start, but to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps it could be a problem with the battery contacts - the connection between the battery and the power supply? I'm not getting any error messages, and the battery meter shows as 'fully charged' when plugged into mains.

Many thanks.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

have you been taking the battery out consistently to be able to cause some sot of connection problem? if not i would try resetting PRAM and SMC. a quick google will give you the key combinations.

3. martindrums thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I assume there's no danger in running those procedures?

Hadn't taken the battery out at all, so there shouldn't be a sudden connection problem. Only took it out after the event to clean the contacts in the hope that would solve the problem.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no dangers in running at all :) very simple set of keys to hit when you restart, really easy to perform.

battery connection doesnt seem to be the problem then by the sounds of it. how often do you calibrate the battery? (run it completely flat)

5. martindrums thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't let it run completely flat very often to be honest, just from time to time. Will try the procedures and see what happens. Thanks.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

your battery could do with a good condition by the sounds of it then. its recommended to let it go completely flat every 30 cycles or so. goodluck with it

7. martindrums thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, tried those procedures and still no change I'm afraid. Forgive my lack of knowledge - what do you mean by giving the battery a good condition? Thing is I can't now run the battery flat as I can't run the Macbook off the battery at all. Incidentally, just before the problem started the battery had run completely flat.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

conditioning the battery means just that. you let it go completely flat so that the battery 'knows' when it has lost all of its power (sometimes it will forget for some odd reason), however in your case im afraid that you cant seem to do this!

what is the charge information of your battery as shown in the "Power" section of System Profiler?? (you can get there by hitting :apple: button top left corner ->about this mac ->More info.)

9. martindrums thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked this and it says:

Full Charge Capacity: 4889
    Remaining Capacity: 4675
    Amerage: 0
    Voltage: 12422
    Cycle Count: 123

According to coconutBattery the charge is at 95% and the capacity at 97%.

10. martindrums thread starter macrumors newbie

Any further suggestions on this would be really very much appreciated :)