Macbook battery and shutdown issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lotusindigo, Aug 15, 2010.

1. lotusindigo macrumors regular

lotusindigo

I have an aluminum unibody macbook bought 2/08. I've been having some battery issues:

1) Even when plugged in for a whole day, it never seems fully charged. It always shows a percentage in the 90's instead of 100%.
    2) The battery drains several times faster than it used to just a month ago.
    3) It shuts down without warning around 40% charge, according to what my computer says.

Does this sound familiar? I googled and read that maybe I should reset the PRAM or something. Should I just take it in? I have Applecare.

2. celticpride678

Go to the Apple Menu>About this Mac>More Info>Power and copy+paste the health information.

Calibrating your battery and resetting the SMC won't hurt either.

3. lotusindigo thread starter macrumors regular

lotusindigo

How do I calibrate my battery and reset the SMC?

4. celticpride678

5. Pax macrumors 6502a

"Check Battery" is Apple speak for "your battery is toast". The mA hr figure confirms it.

I strongly doubt they will replace it for free - worth a try though. Battery warranty a very grey area with Apple.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. ChuckBlack macrumors member

ChuckBlack

I've had the same issues with my GF's Macbook 2008 model with the replaceable battery for a few months now. Charge cycles 283. I guess I should have brought it in sooner. Still under 300 charge cycles as per Apples website.