MacBook battery and wifi issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ipenguins, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ipenguins macrumors newbie

I just recently got rid of my iBook G4 for a MacBook and I've been running into some problems on the new machine. One issue I've ran into is that my MacBook completely shuts off when the battery has been drained. My iBook, with a 3 year old battery, would always save whatever I was doing before the battery drained. This battery is under a year old and the Battery Condition is "Good" in System Profiler. I've tried repairing permissions but it hasn't fixed it.

Another issue I've been having is not being able to get an IP address from a specific access point on campus. It connects to the access point but then says it has a "self-assigned IP address" but there is no internet connectivity. My iPhone connects without a problem as well as the rest of the Macs and PCs in the room. On any other connection (including mine) it connects fine and obtains an IP address automatically.

Anyone have any possible solutions or similar issues? Thanks in advance.

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Yeah my macbook hates wifi, its actually better on my ipod touch than my macbook, most of the time though im connected through ethernet.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

First, try http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Then if that doesn't work (and try it a couple times)...other than the battery condition, that sounds exactly like the problem I was having with a failing battery. Take it into the apple store before the year is up (even if you have 3 year applecare, apple won't do anything about the battery).

Go to Network prefs, advanced (for airport), go to the tcp/ip tab, make sure it's using DHCP only, then click the button to renew the lease. Worth a try.

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

For the battery issues you should try to calibrate the battery in your MacBook. Here is a step by step guide from Apple site. The procedure is a bit different from the one of the iBook G4 since you have to leave the mac without power supply once you drained the battery (point 5).

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9036.html

Edit: just saw janey was a bit faster about the battery. ;-)

5. ipenguins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try calibrating the battery tonight and post an update tomorrow. As far as the DCHP only and renewing lease, I tried that but still no luck. I also removed the access point from the preferred networks several times, turning the airport off and on, and rebooting. I have no idea whats preventing it from connecting.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

Your link is actually better, I find it interesting Apple duplicates that information a few times.

You should contact your campus IT folks then.

7. ipenguins thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried recalibrating the battery and its still doing the same thing. Is there anything else I can try?