Macbook battery being... weird.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drodrey, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Drodrey macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 aluminium macbook. It basically is always plugged in to the adapter so I don't actually know how long this has been wrong, but I have to disconnect my macbook in order to print. It was printing when all of a sudden it turned off. Turned it back on, it stayed on for about a minute before turning back off. Went and plugged it in and it was fine.

That night I was playing a game, and the adapter had pulled out without me realising. Again, all of a sudden it turned off. Plugged it in, turned back on and all was fine.

This morning I was thinking about it and remembered both times the battery was around 70% charge when it turned off. So I took the cord out, let it run and somewhere around 70% it turned itself off. But then it went weird. Turned it on and it said 0% battery. Left it plugged in for about half an hour and it stayed on 0%. Came back a couple of hours later and it was going up and was about 65%. Unplugged then and worked fine. Left it plugged in all day and come home and it's charged 100%. Now i've had it unplugged for about half an hour and it's still sitting on 100% when it should be around 90%. The time says 10:00 remaining and hasn't gone down at all.

It's weird. My macbook is out of warranty by about a month and a half so I'm reluctant to take it to my mac store without exhausting all other possibilities. Any idea's what it is and how to fix it?

EDIT:
    ok all of a sudden it just went from 100% to 87%... ok?

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Calibrate the battery, look on Apple's website to see how

If that doesn't work
    Reset the SMC, again look on Apple's site
    Should fix it

If that all doesn't work, download coconutbattery and post your results here

3. Drodrey thread starter macrumors newbie

Did both of those, neither of which helped.

Took it to the mac store today. Basically told me my battery was faulty, my computer was 30 days out of warranty and therefore I have to buy a new one. FML.

Thanks for trying anyway :)