Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Hey guys, I couldn't hold out any longer once I heard Leopard got pushed back. So last weekend I got my first Mac, the 2.0 ghz Macbook. I love it so far, I just have some questions about battery life in general, and calibrating the battery.

Reading the manual, it sounds like you need to have the battery charged fully for 2+ hours, and then turn it on, and take it off battery power. Then, you have to keep the computer on until it goes all the way to dead? It's just kind of inconvienent because it takes my macbook about 4 hrs to charge from being dead. then when you add the extra 2 hours, its up to 6 hours.

then once i use it until it dies there goes about another 4 hours? am i interpreting the results incorrectly?

also in terms of battery life in general....is it wise to let the macbook battery die every time before recharging? or can i just plug it in, say every day or so when i get home for an hour or so? if so do i always have to let it charge to the full 100%? it would just be much easier to keep it charged most of the time if possible so i dont have to worry about it dying. im just worried about jeopardizing my investment.

i have many more questions about the OS and use in general, but if anyone could help me out here i would appreciate it very much! thanks!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Keep it simple...every month or two, calibrate the battery by running the machine on battery power from full battery all they way down until it goes to sleep.

Other than that, use it however you want...plug it in to recharge whenever you want.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Reading the manual, it sounds like you need to have the battery charged fully for 2+ hours, and then turn it on, and take it off battery power. Then, you have to keep the computer on until it goes all the way to dead? It's just kind of inconvienent because it takes my macbook about 4 hrs to charge from being dead. then when you add the extra 2 hours, its up to 6 hours.

I assume you mean "take it off power cord" instead of "battery power" in your above statement.

I would follow the instructions exactly...it is only the first time, and then every so often as recommended...I think most people do it every few months.

also in terms of battery life in general....is it wise to let the macbook battery die every time before recharging? or can i just plug it in, say every day or so when i get home for an hour or so? if so do i always have to let it charge to the full 100%? it would just be much easier to keep it charged most of the time if possible so i dont have to worry about it dying. im just worried about jeopardizing my investment.
no need to let it run down until charging and no need to charge all the way either. Just make sure to run the battery down every so often to care for your investment!

BTW- Congrats on the Macbook purchase!

gameguy3001

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
It sounds like you'll calibrate the battery correctly. The computer can be on or off while its charging. During any of the steps that you mentioned, it is fine to use the computer, you just have to deal with the power cord sometimes :)

Since the computer has a Li-ion battery, you dont have to gully charge and fully drain every time you use it. This Apple article describes it better.

Hope that helps :)

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
thanks for the replys guys! its just hard sometimes to find time to let it charge totally, then use it for the full length without turning it off.

branharrison6

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2007
thanks for the replys guys! its just hard sometimes to find time to let it charge totally, then use it for the full length without turning it off.

I just got a macbook and the first time I used it I had it fully charged but I ran it down to when it warned me of reserve battery power then plugged in the charger. Is it ok if I calibrate now the 2nd or 3rd time charging it. Since I didn't calibrate it the "very first" time is that going to affect anything? Also is the point of leaving it in sleep for 5 hours to TOTALLY zap it of all power so that it's in the point of not even being able to power the light indicator for sleep mode?

fedjagr

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
London UK
my question is:
when I switch to battery in the calibration process, should I use the macbook ALL THE TIME until it goes to sleep? I mean, what if I don't use it for 20 mins: it will go to sleep! (before the battery is empty).
Is this bad for the calibration process? Or will it resume once I turn it back on? Thanks for your help!
Fedja

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
It shouldn't hurt it to let it go to sleep in the calibratioin process (but you could set it to never go to sleep if you prefer. What does hurt it is never unplugging it to drain it, and occasionally not draining it 100%.

In my last school the teachers never unplugged their Dell laptops and then had batteries that would hold almost 0% charge when unplugged. :mad: I am not sure why I bought them laptops if they never travel with them!!:confused:

Is it ok if I calibrate now the 2nd or 3rd time charging it. Since I didn't calibrate it the "very first" time is that going to affect anything? Also is the point of leaving it in sleep for 5 hours to TOTALLY zap it of all power so that it's in the point of not even being able to power the light indicator for sleep mode?

Should not affect anything not doing it the first time. Just do it now and do it every month. On the apple page link above there is a way to drop a reminder in iCal to remind you to do it if you tend to forget things like that.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
cheers! I now put it on 'never go to sleep'! thanks for the tip.

I would only recommend doing this during calibration, and I personally don't worry about it as it shouldn't affect the calibration. But for sure don't leave it on that setting as it is not good to leave it on that setting all the time.

I have never had problems with battery life. I simply use my laptop uncorded all the time and take the time to deplete the battery often.

I didn't realize for some you needed to leave it alseep for 5 hours afterwards...learn something new every post!

good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.