MacBook battery capacity dropped 5% in two days?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CandiceC, Nov 18, 2009.

1. CandiceC macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2009
    Hi, folks! I bought a MacBook in late October, and it was my first, so I'm pretty new to Macs. Love it so far!

But anyway, here's my question -- my battery capacity has been at over 100% since I bought it, according to coconutBattery, and yesterday it dropped to 98%. I decided to calibrate it because I hadn't done that yet. So I let it put itself to sleep and left it that way overnight, then recharged this morning. When I first plugged it in, the capacity was at 99%. Now a few hours later, it's at 95%.

So, is it more likely that my capacity has been 95% for awhile and the calibration just helped synchronize the capacity display with the actual capacity, or did I really lose 5% in two days?!

I'm trying not to be totally crazy obsessive about this, but I really need a good battery life, and I want to keep this one going for as long as possible.
  2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

Sep 28, 2008
    You're fine, don't worry about it.

If you start seeing a precipitous drop then you can start worrying. +/- 5% is nothing.
  3. Paul Lee macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2009
    Seoul, Korea
    Mine is same situation

I bought it a week ago. 13.3" Macbook pro unibody late 2009.

It showed me 5500mAh then a week later it has been dropping until 4982mAh

Now it is getting decreased, I already synchronized with Battery Calibration in conjunction with Apple's support but it is not working.

Does anyone can give me an answer for this?

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

Jan 22, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Run it down all the way and then charge it up.

Only if it keeps showing <90% then take it to Apple for free replacement.

Yeah, its a bother, but todays high end batteries are prone to noticeable performance issues. I have seen many different types of new batteries fail.
  5. Agincourt macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2009
    I've got the same kind of problem with a battery dropping in capacity almost one percent with each discharge. Also, the computer doesn't go to sleep when the battery reaches zero charge. It shuts down and then resets the date upon the next start up. It's an ibook battery that's about a year old, proven very reliable over the first 200 discharges before it REALLY started to decline.

What do I do about that? Thanks.