Macbook Battery capacity going from 100% to 56% in one day

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jigspanchal, Dec 13, 2007.

1. jigspanchal macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

I had a problem, and was hoping you people could help me out. I have a 4 month Macbook. I recently upgraded it to Leopard. Its working great, no problems whatsoever. My battery was working great too giving me a steady 4 hours on a full charge. But suddenly since yesterday night, the battery health has gone down to 56% from a 100% in the morning. I thought it might be a calibration problem, so I let it drain completely, and then fully charged it, to recalibrate it. But still it says the same thing. Also now my battery, instead of the 4 hours that it used to last, now only lasts for a couple of hours. I am really confused about what suddenly happened to the battery. Do you guys have any suggestions about what I should be doing? Can I call apple and tell them about the problem, and try to get a new battery from them. I'm freaking out... and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JP

[​IMG]

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I found the problem. Seriously though, this might be a bad battery. You could try calling Apple; worst they can say is no. And since you're still under the one-year warranty, this could be covered.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You have a lot of really pointless negative posts. TO you, EVERYTHING is leopard fault, no matter what the problem might be.

Why dont you be helpful or go somewhere else.

4. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

but you forgot the solution.

5. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Same exact problem, went from 97% to 68%, but i didn't upgrade to Leopard. I have no idea why this has happened, so i hope i can get the battery replaced because this is rediculous. It should be above 80% for about 300 cycles, and i baby everything i own, so it's not like i trash my laptop and drive the battery crazy.

Attached Files:

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

IIRC, Coconut battery doesn't work with leopard - it reports widly varying numbers.
    I know this doesn't help the second poster, but it may help the first.

7. jigspanchal thread starter macrumors newbie

Coconut battery seemed to work fine till yesterday. Also the battery used to last at least 4 hours on a full charge. But now it doesn't even last full 2 hours. Hate to see something like this happen.

JP

8. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

This is weird...

I especially like the no charger connected yet it is charging. :rolleyes: Load cycles are actually 70. Less load cycles = healthier battery life span. Lith-ion's don't like deep charge cycles.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      140.4 KB
      Views:
  9. jigspanchal thread starter macrumors newbie

This is really wierd. The battery capacity's going down by the minute. Right now its down to 41%. With a full charge, it showed 1:32 mins remaining. This had to happen during the exams, when I need the battery in the library. :mad:

[​IMG]

10. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Hate to say it, but my battery just decided to fix itself! :D :confused:
    But i did find that after the battery update, i had more current charge mAh than the battery has new, MBP = 5500mAh. So i'm happy, but sorry that yours is still breaking as we speak. Maybe cycling it a lot will fix it. Thats what i did this past week after i found that mine was down to 68%, i used a full battery, then charged, then used again, charged, then used a little, let it sit a day, then used a little more, and now after a few small uses, it is fixed. Hope it doesn't break again.

11. silbeej macrumors 6502a

I will say tho, that your battery is very new, only what, 4 load cycles, so if it isn't a new battery need to calibrate it problem, just get a new one, should be under apple care.

12. jigspanchal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response fellas, I talked with the Applecare people and got them to send me a new battery..will reach in approx. 5 days.