Macbook: Battery causing the fan to run???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skybolt, Aug 2, 2010.

1. skybolt macrumors 6502a

For a good while, I have had problems with the fan running on my late 2006 macbook. The fan will simply run, seemingly forever even when not under a load. I expect it to run when doing intensive work, etc., but it runs even when just reading email and nothing running in the background. I have tried all the suggested fixes -- SMC, PRAM, permissions, etc., but nothing has helped. I even took it in to have the tech look at it while it was still under warranty. He said he could not reproduce (can't understand that -- all I have to do is open iPhoto and the fan will start). We have cleaned the fan, etc. all to no avail. Activity Monitor shows nothing unusual, and the computer does not get excessively hot – only warm.

Now the crux of the story! For some reason I decided to take the battery out of the computer and run only on electric. No fan noise! I fired up several videos at the same time, started surfing the web, had lots of things open -- all with no fan running! To check another angle, I put the battery back in, but unplugged the electric. Got a "little" fan noise, but not nearly like I had been getting. So -- question is -- what is going on here? I have always left the battery in place and I keep it plugged in to the electric. Should be fine. But maybe there is a reason the fan does not run when one or the other is missing?

Would love for someone to explain what is going on here and why I am getting the behavior I am getting. Thanks for any and all input!

2. macguysea macrumors newbie

macguysea

Fan noise

I bought my MacBook about a year ago and I have the same fan noise issue. I haven't attempted to use only electric as an earlier poster did, but should I really be having my fan go on so often??... It's very annoying... and btw, the load on the system simply isn't that much. :mad:

3. SheldonCooper macrumors newbie

SheldonCooper

You can control your fan using an app called 'CoolBook' but i'm not really sure if it will help you.

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

If you download iStat Pro you can see the fan speed and your CPU temperature. That would really help diagnose this problem

Post your CPU temperatures and fan speed when your computer is idle (no programs open), on battery and plugged into the wall.

You could also post them when your computer is working hard, eg playing videos.

Then we can take a look

5. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I'm having a similar problem with my late 07 Blackbook but haven't tried running on just the cord, maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Right now all I really have open is Safari, iChat, Mail, and iTunes, and not doing anything excessive in any of them (no video chat, flash games, d/ls, etc) and my fan is around 6200rpm and very noticeably loud. My temps don't seem too high but then again I'm not sure what "normal" is (the highest on the list is 69 C in iStat).

6. Pax macrumors 6502a

If your fan runs at 6200 all the time it can be a sign of a faulty temperature sensor. But if its speed varies from 1500 up to 6200 the sensors are OK. Having said that, in old MBs full speed fans can be normal behaviour.