Macbook Battery Charging question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chugg, Jan 5, 2009.

1. chugg macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I just got a new Macbook Aluminum but I feel the magsafe adapter has been a slight annoyance for me. I'm just wondering if it's bad for the health of the battery if it gets unplugged while its charging and then plugged back in again. I like to use my laptop on my bed and slight movements sometimes knocks the plug off... Normally, I've always charged to 100% before removing the plug but I'm not sure if it's really necessary or even preserves the life of the battery at all.

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I believe Apple's notebooks uses similar battery as the iPhone, meaning that you can charge almost how ever you want, but you should probably let the battery run down to 0% procent sometimes and the fully charge the battery to 100%

But i'm not sure on this and another opinion would be gold!

3. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

yeah, these batteries are lithium ion and they don't have a "memory" from crappy charging habits. So you can have the mag safe knocked off without issue. Though apple does sugguest that one calibrates about once a month. You gotta search for it as I don't have it handy, but in a nutshell you keep the computer plugged in for two hours and you can use it, then let it discharge while you use it and then let it sit for 5 hours and then charge it till full, but don't use it till its full. I believe thats how it is, but check it to be sure.

Now mine was screwy the first time I did it. The computer shut down after saying there was 5% left, but I pressed the side button and still had two lights lit up. So I started her up again and let her re-die out, then followed the rest of the steps. Now the battery seems to last a bit longer and when it shuts off on its own, it only has 1 light left of power. The battery is suposed to hold an emergency reserve, but I think mine was holding more like 25 percent instead of the 5 percent it should hold.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you want to do a calibration but don't know how, Read this.

@ chugg: The Magsafe problem of being knocked out while in bed reminds me to mention a caution. Because of the need for speed and power, today's notebook computers run hot and need proper ventilation. When you have your MacBook sitting on a bed and more specifically the bedspread or sheets/covers , use caution that you don't block the vent ports or your MacBook will overheat and compromise its operation. It is best to stick with a hard surface. This holds true for the MagSafe Brick as well. It doesn't have vent ports but it stays cooler by dissipating heat which is more effective on a hard surface.

Soft Surface Bad: Lap, Bed, Carpet, Dirty Laundry

Hard Surface Good: Desk, Book, Wood/Tile Floor, Table

Why do ya think they no longer call em Laptops?

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Because people were burning their legs...?

Although I agree with most of your points, I don't know if the ventilation issue really applies to the new MB/MBPs. There doesn't appear to be any ventilation area on the underside of the machine, and my particular machine runs equally as cool on my duvet as it does on my kitchen table.

Unless you're playing COD4, I really don't think it's going to make much of a difference :D

6. chugg thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. The issue here wasn't battery calibration (I've already done this and followed the steps as per the Apple site), but whether or not unplugging the charger before the battery finishes charging to 100% does any damage to the health of the battery. I seem to have gotten my answer, so thanks again.