MacBook Battery - eBay

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BillyBobBongo, Jun 21, 2011.

1. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

So after 5 years the battery on my 13" MacBook has given up. I checked out Apple to see what a new battery would cost and then I checked out eBay, purely out of curiosity. The prices on eBay are about 1/3 of the price that Apple charges.

Does anyone have an prior experience of buying a new battery from eBay and how was that transaction/product?

2. topcat5665 macrumors newbie

topcat5665

It may be a non-official apple battery. Check the company who makes the battery and do some research, if they seem ok, go ahead and buy it. It may also be a used battery, so you may not get the life as expected. If I were you, I would look around on ebay or amazon a bit, as apple batteries are very expensive.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many have complained of problems with non-Apple batteries. For that reason, I would never trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple.

4. jenzjen, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

I bought a battery off eBay ONCE, I wanted an OEM Apple battery, confirmed it via email with the seller and long story short went through 3 exchanges where some were OEM but held no charge, others were 3rd party, etc before I just disputed the issue with eBay for a complete refund. The problem was I ate return shipping each time so in the end, I was out almost $50 anyway.

Not worth the trouble IMHO.

5. BillyBobBongo thread starter macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Thanks all for taking the time to get back to me on this, it's appreciated. I think I might err on the side of caution, as suggested, and just go to Apple.

6. tommy060289 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I once bought a battery from eBay for a white iBook. Battery was supposedly oem but when it came it was grey and looked completely out of place on the iBook.

I just wish apple didn't charge so much for batteries:(

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would never buy a battery for my MB other than an Apple one. No long ago on the Apple forums, someone bought an eBay one and found it wouldn't charge. You never know what you are getting there.