Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowcat

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2007
Waste of time

I use a mac, (OBVIOUSLY) and my animation blah blah blah blah blah blah STOP BLEATING ABOUT MY BACKUP PROCESS AND DISCUSS THE ISSUE AT HAND....

Maybe if your time is so incredibly valuable you should stop worrying about if some random guy on the other side of the world thinks you don't back up your work or not and get back to work.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
What is wrong with people?? WHY oh WHY can't people READ anymore? YOU guys haven't even Read THIS thread...

<my rant> AGAIN for those who are just NOT GONNA READ THE STORY...THE COUCH IS OUTSIDE FOR THE DOG. ON THE PORCH...YES, SOME PORCHES HAVE CRAPPY FLOORING ON THEM... DOGS ROLL IN DIRT... THAT IS WHAT DOGS DO. THIS IS WHY YOU GIVE INSIDE DOGS BATHS REGULARLY. </rant>

I was actually being sarcastic, which I thought would be evident by pointing out the very two things that literally dozens of people have repeated over and over that are totally incorrect...

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
What is wrong with people?? WHY oh WHY can't people READ anymore? YOU guys haven't even Read THIS thread...

<my rant> AGAIN for those who are just NOT GONNA READ THE STORY...THE COUCH IS OUTSIDE FOR THE DOG. ON THE PORCH...YES, SOME PORCHES HAVE CRAPPY FLOORING ON THEM... DOGS ROLL IN DIRT... THAT IS WHAT DOGS DO. THIS IS WHY YOU GIVE INSIDE DOGS BATHS REGULARLY. </rant>

Wow, who would have thought my joke about the couch and linoleum flooring would spark such resentment and anger? I think people are:

a) reading way too much into online banter

b) taking their personal hostilities out on innocent Macrumors members

c) in need of more meds :p

Seriously peeps, perspective goes a long way...

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY

Yeah, outside for the dog, suuuurrre it is :D

Perfect place to exhibit your burnt macbook. :rolleyes:

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I'm intrigued as my system also wakes if I closed the lid and flip it in my hands. What did you really need to say or do besides show the geniuses the problem? Why exactly was the logic board replaced, as in what component on it was causing the problems?

Thanks,
-Brian

I'm not sure. My theory was that the sensors that detect motion and park the heads in your hard drive (If you drop the system) were malfunctioning but that was a guess and they never told me if that was or was not the problem. My issues revolved around two things.

-The system waking up when jostled a bit in a bag and as such overheating, and turning off.

-The system not going to sleep when I closed the lid. (In point of fact just before I went into the Apple store I was using a magnet along the right side of the system to put it to sleep manually.)

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
I use a mac, (OBVIOUSLY) and my animation course still uses PC they will not budge on getting any macs as the techie only knows PCs.

ITs not a computer animation course its traditional... ie cel, frame stop motion and all that. Each frame is a separate file around 10-20mb for a small image but usually bigger when using multi layered imaging as i do!

I use final cut pro, this doesnt exist on PC as you will know! To transfer to pc would require starting everything i have done since january again on the pcs using premiere which i have no time to do.

There are other departments with macs but at tis time of year they are also under heavy usage by graduating students so no go as their department gets priority.
Which is pretty much as I figured.

I still say that you're creating your own problems here.

Using a unique computer system for critical work, when you have no spare hardware, and can't afford any wasted time, is a disaster waiting to happen.

As much as you like your Mac, you really have to consider the bigger picture here. If you only have one Mac, and the delay from a hardware failure can cause you to not graduate, then is it really worth it to not use the university-standard platform? (And yes, I'm aware that it's far too late to change now, so please don't go shouting it at me yet again.)

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
Are YOU not reading that he was talking about a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro or earlier PowerBook?
Have YOU not read posts (#13, 19, 23, 26, 40, 53, 56, 63, 80, 90, 120, 131, 132, 151, 156, ...) which report having had negative (albeit less dramatic) experiences with possibly heat related issues with the MBP, or who are concerned about the possible impact of these issues on their MBPs :confused: ?

And for all those who don't get anim8tor: For those who don't get anim8or's concerns, this NOT an issue of not backing up. Working with animation programs and/or video requires configuring your machine in ways that wp, gaming, or surfing does not. For those of us who work in these media, simply hopping on to your friend's or university's computer is not really a feasible option, especially in the midst of production.

And for anim8tor: You should be on your animation now, not here at MR:) Get back to work!!!

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Except if it happens with a PC, right? But now that it happened with a Mac, you suddenly find all kinds of excuses.

What would you have Apple do anyway? They can't take action on one case beyond helping out the owner and replacing the unit. That would be pointless, as it would seriously lower the morale of their presently happy macbook owners despite having machines that are in good working order.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
i want to get a macbook ( out of my salary bonus! ) , but things like this put me off. I assume its just a one off occasion?? anyone else got any terror stories for the macbook??

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
i want to get a macbook ( out of my salary bonus! ) , but things like this put me off. I assume its just a one off occasion?? anyone else got any terror stories for the macbook??

I could count on one hand the number of cases this happens to. Actually it was two hands but that one was holding my flaming Mac:D
Just kidding. The vast majority of us are deliriously happy with our purchase. We just want absolute perfection.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Hmm, if I were this guy I'd be pushing for lifetime Apple VIP service for sure. Can you imagine if he wasn't around, he could of lost his whole house because of Apple. Apple should be lucky he's not suing them (as far as we know).

somekool

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2007
MacBook Pro ???????

How can anyone on this forum be fooled and believe these are pictures of a MacBook Pro. Come on guys, check out the Apple Website. This notebook is far from looking like an Apple.

The recent photos below are from a co-worker's MacBook Pro. His was asleep on a desk - he said he heard a loud "pop" and the found this:

362715385_a3c9ccd35c.jpg

362715380_1b95ff1674.jpg

He took it into the Apple Store and they replaced it right away.

somekool

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2007
What model?

I really would like to know when this guy bought his MacBook?

is it a recent model?

Diddiyo

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2006
central jersey
I had been using the MacBook while being a passanger in a car, once I had completed my work I decided to shut the computer down. I didn't realise at the time but I closed the lid part way through the shut down process and placed the laptop back in its bag. On arrival to my meeting I pulled the laptop out of the bag which was at finger burning temp, it seemed to be locked in a state of running everything at full speed. It took a further 10 minutes to cool down enough to restart.

that exact thing happened to me also!

Skylark

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2007
The recent photos below are from a co-worker's MacBook Pro. His was asleep on a desk - he said he heard a loud "pop" and the found this:

362715385_a3c9ccd35c.jpg

362715380_1b95ff1674.jpg

He took it into the Apple Store and they replaced it right away.

I had this EXACT condition a couple of weeks ago. Brought it to my local Apple Store, where they made an ask-no-questions exchange... BUT... Today, the 2-week-old replacement started doing the same thing. Let's see if they give me another replacement when I go in this time. (I'm pretty sure it's the heat. My MacBook Pro 17 gets freakin' HOT!) (btw... I have another battery that's been in use for about a year without a problem.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.