Macbook Battery Fluctuations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spacebar, Jan 21, 2008.

1. spacebar macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a one year old, 1.83 GHz macbook that has been having some weird battery problems. Earlier this week I was doing some writing, having just upgraded to leopard, when I looked over at the battery icon; it said 20% remaining. 5 minutes later my computer went to sleep. I charged it up and to my surprise the battery had changed to 0%. I clicked dashboard and looked at iStat Pro. It said that I only had 56% battery health, whereas the day before it said that my battery was 100% healthy! I then turned off my macbook and charged it up to full. When I restarted it in the morning everything went back to normal, with the battery at 100% health and everything. I have been having this sort of thing happen almost every day now and it is really irritating. I hope that you guys can help me because it is really irritating to not know how much charge my battery has, and since my warranty is up there is no one who can help me. Oh, if it helps, my battery has had about 239 load cycles, and this has never happened before I upgraded to leopard.

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

My mbp did this a few nights ago; it put its self to sleep at 43%. When I plugged it to the wall and woke it up, the battery was at 0%. I recallibrated the battery and it seems to be working fine so far...if it starts up again I'll just ask apple for a new battery (still under waranty). Try a battery recalibration

3. Mondochuk macrumors newbie

I had something similar on my MacBook. I was at a retreat one weekend running video off of it (Magsafe plugged in the whole time) when I checked it out on Saturday afternoon, the health in iStat Pro dropped to 47%!?
    I tried calibrating it and it went into hibernate/sleep for the night, usually I wake up and it's off and then I just charge it all day while I'm at work. I woke up the next morning and it was still sleeping? So I let it sleep all day- It was STILL sleeping at of 7:00pm the next night- it slept for almost 24 hours!
    I think that it was way longer than it's supposed to sleep once it goes into "hibernate" due to low battery- I've always had it turn off a few hours after sleeping due to low battery, and then able to recharge and calibrate.
    I took it to the Apple Store and the genius said it was just normal battery health, It has since gone back up to 80% health, and hopefully climbing, but I was worried for a while there, but it seems like it will be ok, time will tell...

4. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I have a similar issue on my Macbook... whenever my computer gets to around 20% battery, it will completely shut down (meaning it will not boot up again until the Magsafe is plugged in) and it will read 0% after turning it back on. I think I might ask Apple to replace the battery. :confused: It has 171 cycles on it according to iStat.

5. spacebar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the responses! I'll try re-calibrating my battery tomorrow when I get home from school, and we'll see if that helps!