Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

My Macbook 2015 12" had no issues in cold weather when I carried it in a padded, sealed Camelbak backpack. Temperature was 38-40 degrees today and just like the several times recently I get a battery drained sign when I press the power button and the laptop will not turn on.

I tested if it was just a temperature issue by turning on the heat in my car full blast and warming up the laptop for five minutes. The thing should have turned on if the battery was cold but it would not.

As before it will turn on if I plug the AC adaptor in the laptop. Once I bootup I often see the battery level is 90-95 percent. Once it is on I can use the laptop.

I have been carrying the Anker 25600mah battery with usb-c plug to kick-start the laptop when I need to bootup.

Coconut battery stats are:

battery manufacture date: 2015-5-5

design capacity 51.6%
cycle count 318
macOS battery status: check battery

i have had the service battery for a while but it went away when i upgraded to high sierra. due to some performance issues i switched back to sierra and battery service warning is on again. I did not have cold temperature issues like this before.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think your battery (at 51.6% of original capacity) is way past ready for replacement, and simply may be exhausted enough that it is causing more issues now, even though you have external power support from that Anker battery.

It's time to replace the battery (or maybe discover how much that's going to cost)

Reactions: blake2

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I'm having a similar issue with my rMB 2015 (April).
I live in the arctic and in the mornings my rMB is dead even though it was fully charged in the evening. I use a RavPower usb-c battery pack to kickstart.
Checked Coconut and it says the design capacity is 0,2% of original. Temperatur 3C (37F). I live of grid so this is also room temperature (when we are lucky). It takes more than 5 minutes to get the temperature up with the wood stove but after ca 10-15 minutes my battery indicator goes from 0% to 98%. Batteryhealth from 0,2% to ca75%. I have never seen the service warning (not even when I was on 70% this summer). OSX battery status is good even when I am on 0,2% health.
Of course the battery is getting worn out after almost 3 years (510 cycles) but I think this issue is mainly because of the temperature and wil be gone in spring and I plan to use it like this for another two years I hope.

If your battery health stays on 51,6% with the battery warning on then you probably have to get a new battery. My experience is that the battery health is fluctuating quite a bit.
How many hours do you get out of it after 'warming up'?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.