macbook battery help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by coltonbye, Aug 20, 2011.

1. coltonbye macrumors newbie

i bought a new macbook from apple about two months ago and i just now downloaded coconutBattery. coconutBattery says battery capacity is at 93% being 23 weeks old (its acutely about 10 ish) and my battery loadcycles is 53. is this good or bad cause i have no clue on any of this stuff

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

I imagine the age thing is a guess based on the number of cycles, as age is not a number the battery itself keeps track of. 53 cycles is not huge for a machine that's 70 days old... if you fully charge it and fully drain it on a regular basis.

The batteries on the unibody machines are rated at 1000 cycles. If you really are charging and draining it that much, it'll take you two years to reach that cycle count.

Also, even the cycle count is a bit of an estimate. I've seen it jump by several cycles on mine, when it was plugged in most of that time. Don't panic. These things last a really long time, and it's incredibly rare that the lithium polymer batteries goes bad. They do, but I've only seen three of them go bad in the past year and a half, whereas I see bad old-school MacBook batteries and bad silver-key-style MacBook Pro batteries on a daily basis. Don't worry about it.