Macbook battery indicator wonky?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by burningbright, Mar 31, 2009.

1. burningbright macrumors regular

Hi everyone! My problem is that my Macbook doesn't give me any warning of when the battery is about to cut out. I have the menubar indicator switched to 'estimated time left' but even when it is showing over 30 mins remaining the macbook often just switches itself off due to lack of power. My previous computer, an iBook G4 running Tiger, popped up with a warning message when it was running on reserve power and when it did run out of battery it put itself to sleep. My macbook gives me no such warning and switches the whole machine off, with the obvious consequences for unsaved stuff. Is there some way I can solve this problem? Any help will be much appreciated!

P.S. It's a recently acquired, late 2006 mid-range Macbook running Leopard, if that's any help!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds like your battery may be failing prematurely. Mine behaved in much the same way, although happily it was still under warranty and Apple replaced it.

3. burningbright thread starter macrumors regular

Ah so there's nothing I can do bar getting a new battery, then? Thanks for your help, BlueRevolution!