Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kehhnough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2014
I had put my bottle of water in my bag, along with my laptop, which was off. And my bottle started to leak. I immediately took out my laptop to check and only the outside was wet. The input holes on the left of the MacBook was only slightly damp, which I've dried out with tissue.

Now I'm home, I take it out again. And I see that my battery indicator light is on. The one on the left side of the MacBook. I doubt it has anything to do with the water, my MacBook is quite old, bought it in mid 2011, and have been intensively using it.

So what I wanna know is why is it on? It doesn't flash, like usual. When I press the button, nothing happens either. It continues staying on. I do not dare turn it on, or plug it in. Help!! What should I do!?

----------

I have ensured that I didn't let water seep in, I've checked every part of the MacBook, keyboard, trackpad, the fan / speaker area at the bottom of the screen. All dry.

Kehhnough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2014
Oh I should probably add that the lights are green, cause I know they can be orange and that might mean a whole other thing.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
The battery indicator lights are only ever green.

I hate to tell you this, but water has got inside your MBP.

The best thing you can do right now is don't switch it on or attempt to charge it.

Put it in a bag of rice and in a warm, dry place.

Leave it for a couple of days to fully dry out. You may be lucky and it'll be OK. At this stage it's difficult to know.

Kehhnough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2014
So the battery indicator lights being on even tho my Mac is off is an indicator of water?

I will go blow dry it for a bit and put it in rice, but how will I know when will it be safe to turn on or plug in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.